Chapter: 48 The Chase

Chapter: 48

Rosemary's POV: 

There was a lot of people around and it was quite easy to get lost, but I made sure to stay on the main roads and know how to get back. New York is quite big, but it's not a maze unlike Boston. The streets were longer and I could smell on the air that there was burnt wood, which was cause from the great fire. I didn't know the stench could come this far, but I guess it polluted the air with how much the fire burn down the buildings. It would take a long time for the stench to go away and now the smell is faint, but I can still smell it. 

My eyes look around taking in all of the people that were milling around. I got weird looks from the woman as I pass them and I guess it was usual for them to see a woman like me walking around freely without a bonnet on my head. The men was looking at strangely as well, but I guess it was normal for a woman like me. It wasn't entirely strange, but it was probably because of what era I was from. They didn't know that, but I did. It has been quite a journey since I had first arrived here. The months have passed by and eventually I have grown accustom to the way things are done here. I didn't like it, but I knew better than to start any trouble. 

I didn't see anyone that was suspicious or that the man had come this way. I made a 'hum' noise as I begin to remember the route that I had taken from where we had split off. The man must be up ahead. I just have to walk up ahead to see if I could cut him off. It's easier said than done. Connor was probably following him and Benjamin is watching from a distance, but I don't see them either way. My feet walk in the direction that the other two would be going. It was a little confusing as my mind couldn't really remember what route was use to meet back up with Hickey. 

This was more confusing than I thought it would be. My mind was becoming a jumble as my feet move more faster. My nerves were twisting itself as I was starting to worry that I had become lost. I don't think I did, but it feels like I have. My eyes dart back and forth as I was nervous. My breathing was becoming shallow as I took a turn down an alleyway. My feet walk down the darken path as the shadows were covering the buildings. The sun couldn't reach between the buildings as I could see a main road up ahead. I was about to step out onto the main road, but then I saw the suspicious man from earlier.

He continue to walk forward before turning down a street and I notice Connor was following, but staying out of sight. My eyes went past him to see movement in the distance and knew that it was Benjamin. A sigh of relief escape from me as I was not lost at all. I follow after Connor and the suspicious man. They were up ahead as I was following behind and took another alleyway as I turn into another alleyway that lead into backyards with fences. I notice the clothes lines back here as I quickly went past them. I could see Connor and the suspicious man from where I am. They were heading to another alleyway, but it seem familiar. 

My mouth open as a gasp escape from me and I ran across the backyards as I came out onto the main road again. I made sure Connor went into the alleyway first as I went further down the road. My eyes didn't catch Benjamin anywhere, but I'm sure he is doing the same thing as I am. I hurried down the street taking another turn down that road. I was getting closer as my legs was beginning to feel rubber and my chest was burning from running such a long distance, but I can't stop and rest. I have to get to where the house that has Thomas Hickey inside of it. 

***************************************************

Connor's POV: 

The man was talking to another man and they were done as I knew where the location of where Thomas was. I climb down the steps from my perch as the two men disappeared around the corner. Benjamin came out from where he was hiding, but Rose wasn't here. I hope she isn't getting into any trouble here or getting lost. Benjamin and I walk out of the alleyway as the main road came into view. Benjamin asked "So, Thomas Hickey is close by" 

I nodded my head "Indeed, he is. Have you seen Rose?" 

Benjamin answered "Not since we split up" 

I frown at the answer before looking around and Benjamin murmured "She probably have already found Thomas Hickey and is waiting for us" 

"Hopefully, you are right then" I nodded before we head off down the main road together. My eyes scanned the area as I was watching closely to where Rose could be. A sigh escape from me as I shook my head back and forth before I kept walking forward. Benjamin better be right about his suggestion or I'm not going to happy. We walk down an alleyway where Thomas Hickey was located. Benjamin nodded to me and I nodded back to him. 

I walk upstairs as I knew they were getting ready for me to pop in. My eyes were on the edge of the doorway as I could see their shadows moving around inside. I slowly let out a deep breath before I kick the door down. They were startled by the loud noise and I rolled to avoid a bullet being shot at me. I kick the person's leg from underneath them before standing up to see a couple of guys coming through me. I duck both of their swings before I collided their heads together. They went down as I turn around to face Hickey to see him running through a window his bag in his hand. 

I clench my teeth together in frustration before I went after him. He was ahead of me, but not that far ahead. I ran after him as fast as I can. Benjamin was right behind me. We came to the main road as Thomas Hickey weave through traffic and we follow him down another alleyway right on his heels. I was getting ready to tackle him to the ground as we came out onto another main road, but someone tackle him first. My eyes widen as they both rolled across the ground. Benjamin and I share a quick surprising look before we went over to where Hickey was getting up from the ground. 

"It's Rosemary" Benjamin's eye were widen as Hickey and Rose were going at it as they had stood up from the ground. 

My timing must be perfect, but it has to get him right where it hurts the worst and would kill him right there. He shove her into a bunch of crates that were stacked against the wall of the building that was there. Benjamin went in after him throwing him over to me as I got him across the cheek with my fist. He fell as Benjamin went over to Rose who was stunned from the impact of being slam into the crates. I shouted "Get her and get to safety!" 

"What about you, Connor?" Benjamin shouted back. 

"Don't worry about me. Just go" I snapped. 

He pick Rose up as I met her eyes briefly as I could see a cut on her cheek. She look at me with worried-filled eyes as I was going to take care of Hickey first. My attention turn back to Hickey as he smirked at me, but before we could lunge at each other once more. The guards had to show up and ruin it. Hickey and I got pulled away from each other as the officer shouted "You both are under an arrest!"

Hickey nervously reply "We were just having a little scrap, officer. Were just two men settling our differences the old-fashion way. Can't we come to-"

The officer shouted "Quiet!"

"What are the charges?" I asked. 

"Counterfeiting" The officer answered.

My eyes widen as I protested "I have nothing to do with that!" 

"Of course not" The other officer sarcastically said while rolling his eyes at me. This was foolish! I was innocent! Thomas Hickey was the fraud and he was the one planning on assassinated George Washington. If he goes down, so does the continental army along with the people's freedom. I can't let that happened. Not now. Not ever!

"Listen there are more important things at stake. This man is planning to-" I got struck across the cheek as my surroundings were fading. The officers began to tied my hands together behind my back as my surroundings were becoming more blurry by the minute. 

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you! :D