Chapter: 76 Benjamin Vs. His Father

Connor's POV:

It was night time as I had finally reached New York and I was not feeling good at all. I was nervous. More nervous about this than anything in the world. Nervous about Rosemary and what she had gotten herself into, but mostly nervous if she was even alive. I can't think like that. I just can't. I have to keep moving forward. I know she is alive. She has to be! A soft sigh escapes from my lips as I lower myself to the ground from my horse. My eyes wandering around and looking at the buildings that still had a faint glowing light coming from it. 

My mind started to come up with many ideas of where Rosemary could be, but something tells me differently. This is frustrating, but I must keep a clear head. I have to get to her. She could be in danger for all I know or she could be somewhere safe. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is where could she be in this large town. My feet guided down the street as I had come in from the main entrance. The square was normal as the stalls were filled, but no one was there at all. It is night time. So, almost everyone is in bed. The moonlight shone strongly through the darkness, lighting my way. My eyes took in every little detail that would help me in this. 

None of this was making sense to me. Why would she run away? Did she had to, but for what reason? Was it because of me? Was it truly because of me or was it something else? Something that had her taken away from me? My heartbeat was beating faster in my chest as my feet walk through the streets. I glance this way and that way. Looking for clues on my own. There were a few, but not as much as I would like. It leads me in the direction that I needed to go, but not narrowing down to the place where she was truly at. It made me hum in a thoughtful manner.

The stillness in the air was able to calm my nerves as I took a deep breath to center myself. My eyes taking in everything that was around me. The houses look like they always did in New York and the way that the some of the shops were closed. One was open and I walk over to it. It didn't take me no time to reach the shop and I pulled the door handle open before stepping into the dimly lit room. The man behind the counter was stocking his wares and placing them on the shelf. He turns around and gave me a curious gaze. He asked, "Is there anything that I could help, lad?"

A faint accent, but it didn't sound like the British. No, this was someone entirely different from them. "Yes. I am looking for a man who had a woman with him."

I stalk over to his counter and he notices that I was prepared for anything. His face scrunches up in a thoughtful manner as he was trying to place anyone that I had mention. "Hm, now that you have mentioned it. There were whispers among the townspeople and I wonder what the ruckus was about. Soon, I found out that a guy had a woman over his saddle, but she was clearly pass out. The man here traded me an old gun for a new one." 

"What did he look like?" I demanded as there was an edge to my voice. An angry look at him as his eyes widen.

"He was a middle-aged man with fair hair and skin. Quite a handsome older fellow if you ask me. He had blue eyes as well that look like the sky, but he had a thick accent like the British." He answered with hast. I was puzzled. 

Was he talking about Benjamin? We haven't seen or heard from him in forever, but he did mention that he was a middle-aged man. Benjamin was almost the same age as him maybe younger or slightly older than he was. My eyes narrow in a thoughtful gaze and I nodded my head, "Anything else that you remember? Anything about the girl?"

"No, I didn't see her face at all. She wore a hood, but I could see long dark hair flowing out." He explains while thinking again.

"Which way did he go? Do you remember?" I asked him.

He pauses for a brief moment and stepped out from his counter. He motion for me to follow him and I did. He leads me out of the shop. The man looks up and down the street trying to remember which he had taken. The man in front of me pointed to my right, "They went down that road. Other than that, I don't know which other roads he would have taken." 

"Thank you for your help. It's most helpful." I spoke before taking off down the street. 

"You're welcome!" The guy shouted behind as I ran down the street. My heart pounding in my chest as I was getting closer to her with every step that I took. All I wanted to do was find her and hoping that she is okay. Please, let her be okay. 

*)*

Rosemary's POV:

We were in a standoff with his father. My heart was beating faster in my chest as I didn't know what to do about him. Benjamin looks quite stoic and he didn't seem very happy at all. What did his father do? Why did Benjamin even join him in the first place? Was it because of revenge or what is because of something else in entirely? I wasn't even sure at all. There were many questions that didn't have an answer to them. My hand clench in Benjamin's as he slightly glances over at me, but focus his gaze back to his father.

His father notices that Benjamin had taken my hand in his. A smirk work its way onto his face, "So, is this why you have acted out against me, my son?"

Benjamin didn't say anything as he was practically hating the man in front of him with every intention to kill him where he stood. His father only smirks more before looking at me, "I see you had won both hearts of these men and the man that is supposed to be at your side, but he is nowhere to be seen now."

"I'm glad he isn't here." I snarled out at him with complete anger that coursed through my very being. 

"Well, you would have been dead by now. Benjamin here protested on your behalf to keep you alive. You mean everything to him, dear. Don't you know that?" His father asked with a smirk as he was clearly enjoying the show between us. 

Benjamin's grip tightens on my hand and his father's words made me look over at Benjamin. He gave me a pained look and a guilty one as well. My fear was temporarily replaced with a surprised expression on his face. I had to ask him, "Benjamin, is it true?" 

His gaze narrow and his blue eyes soften. He didn't answer as I knew he was thinking about something, but what? "Go ahead, Benjamin. Tell her. Tell her how you truly feel about her. After all, if it wasn't because you were my son. She would have been dead the moment she got here or maybe I would have slit her throat in front of the native boy." 

He was sick and twisted. A man that couldn't be Benjamin's father at all, but in the end he is. In blood, he still is. Blood is thicker than loyalty. Benjamin look tired and a lot older than what he really was which she had no idea how old he really was. His father looks at him triumphantly as if he was already won the battle that was about to take in this matter. Two against one. Not a fair fight at all, but Benjamin's father was another Grandmaster. Just like Haytham except he was from The Britain Empire. From King George. 

So, what was he truly doing here? Overseeing what Haytham was doing as his son was here as well. Two birds with one stone. I could actually see that happening. It was easy to imagine it that way, but the question still remains. What does he want? Benjamin was glancing over at me and I look back at him as I was wondering if what his father was saying was true. In one swift moment, Benjamin tosses a dagger at his father. It made a 'whooshing' noise before embedding itself into the wood right behind his head. Blood trickle down his cheek from the scratch that Benjamin made. 

His expression was mild shock and he raises his head to his cheek. Touching the blood that was dripping. He pulled his hand away to look at it and that was when Benjamin skidded across the dining table and tackle his father. Two more of his guards enter the room as well and they must have been waiting for his order to attack us. I should have known that he wouldn't be alone. They never are. Anger flush throughout my entire system and I was clenching my hands together into fists. My anger boiling to a point where that I ended up attacking the two guards that was trying to round up on Benjamin.

It was going to happened today. Not on my watch at all. 

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you! :D