Chapter: 74 The Man Behind the Mask

Chapter: 74

Rosemary's POV:

The room wasn't bare as I thought it was. The people that put me in here are the ones with the key. There was a window, but it was sealed shut with nails that were embedded into the frame of the wood. They made absolutely sure that I will not escape from here. They knew that these certain situations where they held captives that they will try to escape. A soft sigh escapes from me as I assess my situation. There was no way out of here at all. I couldn't find my way out of here if I try to. This made me incredibly angry and annoyed. Why am I the problem? That doesn't make any sense at all.

A soft sigh escapes from me and I shook my head. I hope Connor doesn't come for me at all. Only because I want him to finish his assignments first before coming to me. If he does come and get me first, does that mean I am changing history without meaning too? I'm not entirely sure at all, but I know that this is not part of this at all. Benjamin was never part of this and neither was his father. Now, here I am. Right in the middle of this. I place my hand on the glass while looking out into the familiar city of New York. How am I going to get out of here?

There must be a way to get out of here. My eyes turn to the door that was locked by a key. I wonder if it's possible for me to escape by tricking them. I highly doubt it, but I'm willing to risk my neck to get out of here. A soft sigh escapes from me and there's only one way that I am going to get out.

I'm going aggressive on this late 1770's hundreds people. Let's see if they can handle a modern-day girl like me.

*(*

Connor's POV:

I was standing there next to my horse while in Boston now. I couldn't tell if they were here or not, but that's what the people had told me back at the inn. I only hope they were right and that they were the right people that they saw. How many girls get injured anyway? Only one and that was Rosemary. She was completely different than any of these girls and even Myriam. It was like she came from somewhere else and it's strange to think that, but I have seen the way these women hold themselves up. It's nothing compared to Rose. Nothing at all.

Why must it be so hard for me to search for her? I should be able to find her easily, but I had sent her away. That was a mistake on my part and now she is in trouble. She was heading back but got ambush. For one minute, I wish I had Benjamin to help me out. He's not here either and hasn't been for nearly two weeks now. Maybe three. Whatever she is at. I will find her and I will make whoever pay dearly for thinking they could get away by taking Rosemary. They are sadly mistaken.

It makes me angry for not being there when she needed me. Why did it have to happen now? Out of the times that this person could have to strike, why now? It doesn't make any sense at all, but it does infuriate me to no end. A soft sigh escapes from me and I look around the area. I was unsure of where to go next. This city was larger than the small towns that I had gone through. Where is Benjamin when I truly need him or even want to see him?

*(*

Rosemary's POV:

I had tried everything to get their attention, but it seems that no one was next to the door. Well, that was futile. With a shake of my head, I sank to my knees. This was great. Just great. So much for my plan working. This was beyond my level of expertise. Yeah, modern girl showing 1770 century dudes how it was done. Why does my sarcasm suck so much? I answer that one for myself and it's because I never use it until a certain situation when it comes out on its own. That's how it works.

Complete despair washes through me and there was no way that I was getting out of here. Absolutely no way. This was pointless. I force myself back on my feet and walk over to the bed before sitting down. What am I going to do? Absolutely nothing. I can't do anything because I am useless in this situation. My head was spinning with so many ways of here, but everything was blocked. The window, the door, and even the guards weren't even stationed in front of the door like I thought they were.

I might as well get comfortable if I'm staying because there is no way out. Connor will have to save me, but I don't him to. I don't want him to come anywhere near here at all. It wouldn't be right and it would only get him capture. "Please don't risk yourself, Connor..." I whispered softly to myself.

Slowly, I lay down on the bed and curl myself into a ball. It was actually comfortable which was surprising. Why does he really want me here? I haven't done anything or at least as far I know that I really didn't do anything at all. So, what in the world does he mean by that I am out of his way? What the hell is that man talking about? The more that I tried to think, the more that I get no answers at all. I am not sure what to think at all. A soft sigh escapes from me as I close my eyes. It was useless trying to think of anything to escape or try to.

There was a knock on the door and she glances over at the door. That was strange. They don't knock on these doors. So, who's there? My heart was beating fast in my chest as I don't know what to do. How do I defend myself? The door was beginning to unlock and I sat up in the bed. My dark brown eyes on the door as it slowly opens. She was ready for anything that was about to happen. Ready to fight as she bundled her hands up.

The man who had his mouth cover before while removing his hat. My eyes widen to see blonde hair and remove his mouthpiece. "You got to be kidding me..." I murmured completely surprised that it was him the entire time. A soft sigh of relief escape from my lips and he came over to me after shutting the door. He kneeled down beside the bed and spoke, "I was sure you would have recognized me early."

"I am surprised to see you, Benjamin," I spoke while surprising me greatly. I couldn't believe any of this. We haven't seen him in a while and this is where he ends up at.

"I know you have tons of questions, but right now I can't answer all of them." He spoke in a hushed tone while looking over to the door and then looking back at me.

I was confused and utterly clueless in what he meant. What in the world was going on here? Why was he here? "Why are you here? Did you betrayed us?"

"Like I would ever betray you, Rose." He gave me a narrow look as he was serious and a little angry that I question his loyalty.

"Well being here does raise some questions, Benjamin." I snapped as I was not in the mood at all. I was quite furious and a little demanding to know what is going on here.

He gave me a narrow look and let out a sigh, "It's not what it looks like, Rose."

"Then just tell me." I growled out between clench teeth.

He let out a sigh and answered, "My father knows that I am here and he thinks that I have found my way back to him. I have been waiting for the opportunity to strike him down, Rose." Benjamin spoke softly as he took my hand in his.

"So, is this where you have been for the last two weeks?" I asked while narrowing my eyes at him again.

"Yes. I'm sorry I didn't come back." He spoke with sorrow in his eyes that her mine.

A shiver went through me and I realize how tore up he was with the death of his grandmother. In one gesture, I was hugging him. I whispered in a pain voice, "I wish we were there sooner for you and her."

Benjamin was taken by surprise and slowly, he hugged me back. A shaky sigh escape from him, "We knew what was going to happened the moment they step foot into our inn the first time. We both knew. In the end, she sacrifice herself for me."

We stay like that for a couple of more moments before pulling away from each other. His eyes were filled with water, but a self-assured smile spread across his lips, "Now, let's get working in a plan to get you out of here."

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you!