Chapter 52. Performing

Chapter 52.

"Laurel, you are on in,

3

I'm terrified.

2

I can't do this.

1"

Why do people think I can do this?

Those thoughts raced through Laurel's head as the stage manager counted down for her to go on.

She had been in Nashville for the last week with her family. They were all waiting anxiously in front of the stage about 5 rows back. Hunter, unfortunately, was doing a pop-up show, so he wasn't there. Which in turn meant Laurel was freaking out.

"Go get 'em, Laurel" Hunter said on the phone to her about 2 hours ago. Those words were now echoing in her mind.

"It's all yours, Laurel," the stage manager said.

She started walking up the steps to the stage. As she neared the top step, she could hear all of the people there. People there for her. She was stunned to say the least, but she already had her little breakdown moment earlier, so she had to keep it together.

She walked on the stage and went over to the microphone. As soon as people saw her, they started screaming, which caused a chain reaction of screaming. Laurel smiled because she was always the person who set off the chain reaction screaming at concerts she went to.

She spotted her family and waved a little bit.

"How are y'all doing?" She said into the mic.

She was answered with screams.

"As you probably know, I have no album or anything, so I'll be singing mostly covers, but I might throw in a few of my own."

And they screamed again.

"Do y'all like Miranda Lambert?"

Everyone yelled 'YES!"

"Why did I even ask? Everyone likes Miranda Lambert. So I'm going to be singing one of my favorite songs of all time. Here's Automatic."

The crowd roared.

The music started.

And Laurel felt more nervous than she ever felt in her life

"Quarter in the pay phone drying laundry on the line..."

Laurel sang the whole song, just barely hitting the correct notes. Fear took over and she felt herself loose her comfort on stage.

The song was over, but her nerves were still running wild because she knew she had to keep singing.

She was unsure of herself. She realize that the only way she going to be comfortable up there again she needed to make it her own. You can't make it your own while you cover someone else's songs.

She looked over at the members of her band behind her, Cam (Lead guitar), Pete (drums), Harry (bass) Dave (basically anything but usually mandolin) and Tim (keyboard or another guitar player), and quietly said "Good Road".

They all nodded and started playing the intro to the song. Laurel's song.

"I'm going to sing a song I wrote, if that's okay with you guys" everyone cheered louder than they had before.

"School's out

Free at last

Heading out already