Chapter 20. Essays

Chapter 20.

Laurel's POV

Writer's block. You do not know how badly I hate it. Trying to write an essay on the decline of Roman civilization becomes bert hard when there isn't an ounce of inspiration running through your body. Of corse essays don't usually have the room for creative interpretation, but they become easier to write when you can actually think of a strong thesis statement.

I had my laptop open, my notebook in fort of me that depicted every era of the Roman Empire, and finally a bowl of ice cream because essay writing is never the same without being on a sugar high.

I quickly inscribed the date at the top of the new Word document I opened up: March 23, 2014

The next 20 minutes were spent writing and deleting and then re-writing.

I take AP Social Studies and no one else I talk to has that class. Aka Katherine doesn't have that class. I know the material, but putting it together in a clear and concise way that also shows an actual skill in writing is the part I'm having trouble with.

I picked up my ice cream and let the cool, creamy dairy treat enter my taste buds. For the next 10 minutes I just sat there eating my cookie 'n cream ice cream while staring blankly at the screen in front of me. This paper is due tomorrow and I have nothing written yet. My ice cream is all done now, so I actually have to start being productive.

Then, a beep entered my computer. I realized that I had received a message. Not from H like I thought it would be, it's from his friend Sam.

It says:

Hey Laurel! What ya up tooooo?

I quickly replied back:

Writing a paper to no avail. What about you?

I couldn't get back to concentrating after that. My mind was somewhere else. Me and H have been talking since January now. He's really cool. Scratch that. He's a total geek, but he's my total geek. Wait. Did I just say that? Ok, maybe I do like him. But it's never going to work because I haven't even met the guy. And he hasn't shown any interest in wanting to meet me. I have a feeling that this is just going to stay an internet friendship, which I am fine with because I's rather have him as a friend than nothing at all.

He introduced me to his friends in February. Usually they only talk to me when H is with them, but sometimes we talk without him. Their their names are Sam, Anthony, Michael, David and Steven.

I talk to Sam the most though. He's pretty funny actually.

The my computer buzzed again:

Just listening to H go on and on about you. It's getting kinds annoying. And seriously, writer's block? You're better than that.

H talks about me? Ok there must be a problem here because I'm not cool enough to be talked about outside the realm of the internet.

After a moment of deliberation I replied:

Uh oh. I hope he doesn't embarrass me too much. Wait. Can you help me. H is with you, right? He's helped me before! HE CAN HELP ME. SAMUEL GO TELL H TO MESSAGE ME RIGHT NOW. THE FATE OF MY COLLAGE CARRER DEPENDS ON IT.

Within a second he replied:

Samuel? Seriously! But I'll go get him. Don't get too crazy ya little love birds.

How does he know I like H? Wait, if H liked me too then he would have told Sam and that's why Sam thinks we're "love birds". But, Sam is also a prankster. He's probably just trying to get a reaction out of me, so I just won't react. I'll pretend like that sentence didn't even happen.

My train if thought was interrupted by another beep coming from my computer.

H to the rescue.

H. Thank God. That's a cute little response though. Like a superhero. My hero. Ok, ok, off topic. Let's get back to the real world.

Me: Writer's block/essay help. Any tips?

H: Listen to music and say what you're typing for the paper out loud. That way you can hear what would sound good going next.:)

Me: THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU ARE A LIFESAVER.

H: So your collage career won't be ruined now! Where do you want togo anyway?

Me: UCLA. Far away from home.

H: How far away? It must be hard knowing that you want to leave your family.

Me: I live in Massachusetts, so pretty far. 2,900 miles to be exact. Yeah, it is hard, but I've always known I wanted to leave. They still don't but that's a while other story.

H: I got time.

Me: No, I don't want to bore you with my problems that are very small compared to everyone else's.

H: No, I want to help you. You know I'm always here, right?

Me: Ok. Well, my parents never have really approved of this whole youtube thing. They think it's a waste of time. They also don't know that I want to be a record producer. They just have this whole other vision of what they see me doing, so I found that it's easier not to tell them what they don't want to hear.

H: You should try talking to them. Don't spring all of this on them at once obviously, but try telling them little things. Like your passion for music. Then work your way up to the big stuff.

Me: Thank you so much. You honestly have no idea.

H: No problem. Anything for you:)

Me: We should meet one day.

H: We will. I know it.

Me: Good. Well I should probably go finish the demon essay.

H: You do that. Good luck, Laurel!

Essay writing was a lot easier after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do ya'll like this format for the messages? I might start doing that. There were some cute Hunter/Laurel moments. Ya!! Anyway, so yeah they will meet soon. Soon. Like I'm talking within the next few chapters. If everything works out right it will be one more Hunter POV chapter, one more Laurel POV chapter and then they will meet. There's a little twist to their meeting, so there's still plot after that. Hope y'all liked it!

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia