Chapter 58. The Doctor

There are some things in life you can't control no matter how hard you try. You can't turn the leaves green again. You can't decide when something magical will happen.

You certainly can't bring someone back to life either.

You can't feel their warm embrace after they've gone cold. You can't pretend like they'll come back. Because... they won't.

And now, I'm scarred.

•3 months earlier•

"Hunter I'm going to be fine. They're going to give me some cough medicine and we can move on with our lives," Laurel said to me as we were waiting in the dull and grey waiting room. There were magazines in the corner an my the door. They receptionist's phone kept ringing. "Doctor Alexander's office would you like to make an appointment?" Followed every time it rang.

Finally the ringing stopped, and she said "The doctor will see you now. You both can go right on in," with a warm and comforting smile.

I grabbed Laurel's hand and she led me down the hallway to the door with his name on it.

She was sick, and I was sick with worry.

He opened the door right as we got to it. He was a tall man with flecks of grey in his black hair. He had wrinkles on his forehead that became more prominent when he smiled. He was wearing a blue button down shirt underneath his white doctor-y coat. He welcomed us and Laurel and I sat down in the chairs by his desk.

He asked her some basic questions while I fiddled nervously with my watch.

"So does your cough feel dry or is it wet, like you need to do it to clear your throat?" He asked.

"Dry," Laurel answered. "Very dry."

"And how long has this been going on?"

"About a month and a half."

"Ok, Laurel we're going to get some x-rays of your lungs and do some blood tests."

I immediately tensed up. No. She has to be okay.

"We think you may have bronchitis. It is usually a very treatable condition, but we're going to take this very seriously. We don't know how it much it has developed." The doctor explained.

"Mr. Hayes, I recommend you Laurel here and go pick up some tea. Get her some movies or something. She's going to be on bed rest for awhile."

Laurel and I both nodded.

"I'll call you when i'm done" she said.

I kissed her on the forehead before I walked out the door and into the dim corridor.

~~~~~~

I was in the middle of the supermarket looking for some tea for Laurel when I got the call. At first I ignored the monotone ring because I was already occupied with figuring out what tea I should buy. I'm a coffee guy. I don't know about tea.

But the ring kept persisting and so I took it out of my pocket. A picture I took of Laurel looking out at a sunset flashed on my screen and i knew she was calling. I hastily answered it.

"Hey" she said. She was trying to sound optimistic but i could sense the stress in her voice.

"Hey what's going on?" I asked nervously, the words falling out of my mouth too quickly yet not fast enough.

"Ummmmm..." She started and trailed off.

"Laurel. Come on babe, talk to me". I was shaking the box of tea in my hand out of nervousness now.

"I....uh.... I have to go to the hospital."

I almost dropped my phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in like 3 months. I'm so, so, so, so, so, so sorry.

This is the second to last chapter.

Get ready.

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia:)