Chapter 36. Surprise!

Chapter 35.

Hunter's POV

When I pulled into her driveway around 4:30, Laurel was sound asleep in the seat next to me.

"Laurel," I said tapping her lightly on her arm. She didn't respond, so I saw only one logical solution to that problem.

I got out of the car and put my backpack on my shoulders. Then I walked around to her side of the car as opened the door. I scooped her into my arms and used my leg to shut the door behind her.

My suitcase was still in the trunk, but I quickly decided that I would just go and get it tomorrow.

When we made it inside her dad was standing in the hallway. At first he looked a little confused to why I was carrying his daughter in the house at 4:30 am, but once I whispered "She fell asleep in the car," he understood and motioned for me to take her upstairs.

We climbed the steps and I gently placed her on her white duvet and started tip toeing away, but before I could exit Laurel woke up slightly. Enough for her to be aware of her surroundings, but not enough to have a rational judgement.

"Stay with me," She said.

"I can't your dad would kill me."

"He already likes you."

"And I would like to keep it that way," I said. I leaned down gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

I quietly exited her room and I walled down the stairs and entered the kitchen where her dad was standing with a cup of coffee that he offered to me.

I accepted and took it. I brought it to my lips and let my favorite drink enter my taste buds and consume my attention.

"What are you getting Laurel for her birthday?" He asked me.

I put the coffee down and said, "Well, I got her a song and a necklace. I was thinking I could perform it at the surprise party ya'll are throwing her. Would that be alright?" I asked.

He nodded and said, "That sounds like a great idea. Remember: It's your job to keep her out of the house tomorrow."

"I think I'm going to have her show me the city. I haven't really gotten to explore Boston before."

"That sounds like a great idea. You two will be occupied all day."

After that an awkward silence loomed around the room. I was nervous, and he was trying to be the intimidating father, which in turn made him nervous. Nervous emotions dominated the kitchen that night.

We stayed like that for 2 more minutes before he said, "You should probably go downstairs and get some rest."

"I agree, sir," I said and I walked to the basement door.

I reached it and began to open it.
As soon as I did he said, "Call me Chris."

I nodded, smiled and made my way down the stairs to the basement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laurel's POV

I woke up and heard the rhythmic roaring of the shower in my bathroom.

Who would be in there?

Then I woke up enough to remember that Hunter was here and I fell asleep in the car. I also remembered me trying to make stay with me. That must have been awkward for him.

Then the bathroom door opened revealing a newly showered Hunter. Normal guys would just take some pants in and grab a shirt after, but Hunter would obviously take a shirt in too. I have a feeling I'm never going to see him shirtless. God I sound weird.