Chapter 50. Dreams

Chapter 50.

Hunter's POV

"So," I said to Laurel as we walked hand in hand down the sunny streets of LA. "Are you nervous?"

We were on our way to Carson Park Records for Laurel's meeting with the label. I was told not to come by Martin and I was pretty sure that did not like me, but I went anyway.

The sky was blue, and the mood was just as sunny. The music video was an instant success with 1 million views in the first two days. Everyone was totally optimistic about the situation. There was nothing stopping her at that point. She needed to prove she took this seriously, and she did.

"Extremely," Laurel replied.

I squeezed her hand a little tighter and said, "Laur, you got this."

The big building loomed in the distance and as we came closer and closer her nervousness skyrocketed. Her hands began to shake and her palms started to sweat.

I stopped walking and turned her to face me. I grabbed her shoulders and said, "Laurel, you are gonna walk in there and blow the roof off that place without even trying. Calm down because you are the most qualified person I know for this."

She nodded, but she still wasn't believing it. The look in her eyes had more doubt than fear. And that's what made me more nervous.

Fear can be minimized. Doubt has to be removed completely.

"I love you," I said and kissed her quickly on her forehead.

She smiled slightly and said, "I love you too."

"What are you gonna do?" I asked her in the 'football team pep-talk' style.

She looked at me confused. I raised an eyebrow and then it finally clicked.

"Blow the roof off that place." She muttered quietly.

"What did you say? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your success?"

She laughed and looked up at me. The twinkle in her eyes returned and her smile illuminated her face.

"BLOW THE ROOF OFF THAT PLACE." And she ran up ahead of me.

"That's my girl," I said ran to catch up to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Laurel's POV

The long conference table in that room was the most intimidating thing I have ever seen in my life. It felt like you were being stared at the entire time. Not a single eye off of you. Not one person who wasn't concentrating on finding a weak soot, or a spot to make you shine.

"The thing is Ms. Flannagin," an important looking man in a suit said as he stared at me from across the head of the table. I was sitting directly across from him at the other end. There was no averting my gave or taking the attention off of me. "You have a good voice. I'll give you that. But is it versatile?"

The other professionally dressed men and women started nodding.

"Can you put out a whole album of songs that will all be equally as good? Are you consistent. That's what we don't know. And that's what we need to know to make an informed decision. It's not a 'no' forever, but it's a 'no' for know. Get some experience playing live shows, write some song, then contact us."

I nodded. "Thank you, sir. I will definitely prove to you I can do it." I stood up and walked to his side of the table and shook his hand.

"Me too, Laurel. Me too".

And I walked out to the waiting area where Hunter was forced to wait while I went into the conference room.

As soon as he saw the door open, he put down the PEOPLE Magazine he was reading and jumped up to talk to me.

"How did it go?" He asked eagerly.

"They didn't say no; but they didn't say yes."

I walked towards the elevator and pressed the button to go down. He followed me with a expression on his face even I couldn't read. It was a mixture between confusion, anger, and also happiness. They didn't say no. But they didn't say yes.

"So what does that mean?" He leaned against the wall next to the elevator.

"It means that I have to get better and let them know when and if that happens" I ran my fingers through my hai and took a deep breath out.

The elevator beeped and the doors opened. We got onside and he pressed the L for "lobby".

"This basically means I'm not getting it, right?"

Hunter's POV

"This basically means I'm not getting it, right?"

I wanted to say no, but she was right. I had enough experience with record labels to know that "maybe" meant "sorry. But no".

I didn't want her feeling bad, so I tried to disguise my thoughts, but it didn't work. Apparently the expression on my face I made unknowingly was enough to tip her off about it.

"I knew it," she said. She slammed her hand against the wall of the elevator. "I freaking knew it."

The walk to the hotel was relatively silent. We both needed to think. Her more than me.

When we got back to our room, Laurel sat on the couch by the window and looked out at the view.

Then the first tear fell.

And the kept falling.

I rushed over to her, "Laurel, Laurel, shhhh" I hugged her and tried to calm her down.

"What's wrong?"

She tried minimizing her cries to speak,"My dream since I can remember has been crushed."

"Shh, Laur, it's okay." Her tears were falling less and less now, but she was still sniffling it all back. "Your dream hasn't been crushed. It's just been reformed. Your dream is just different now. You can still get another deal."

Then her phone rang.

She went into the other room to talk.

She was gone for at least 15 minutes.

When she came back, she explained everything to me.

And to say I was shocked is an understatement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you guys think happened?

Ooo a mysteryyyy

How did y'all like the chapter?

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia