Chapter 47. Quitting?

Chapter 47.

Laurel's POV

"Would you give up YouTube?" Was the question the man in the suit asked me as soon as I got of stage.

My eyebrows furrowed and my lips pouted signalizing my sufficient anger about the matter. Of corse I wouldn't. Never. YouTube was the first thing that me a place. I'm wasn't going to give it up. But why did he want to know that?

"No," I stated simply. "And why would I want to?" I crossed my arms over my chest and waited for a reply. While I was not so patiently waiting for my answer, I saw Hunter come up behind him.

"Because you could be much greater than YouTube," His slightly greying hair and his stern expression made him look quite intimidating. His forehead had deep set in wrinkles and even with a calm expression he would look stressed.

"What are you talking about?" My voiced raised to a volume that I didn't choose and Hunter quickly came rushing to my side in the protective way signature of Hunter.

"Let me introduce myself," he said. Hunter's arm wrapped around my waist, but the man didn't even acknowledge his presence.

"My name is Martin Schmidt and I'm the Senior VP of Talent at Carson Park Records."

My mouth dropped as a result of this new information. That explained the suit and the sudden appearance, but was YouTube a problem? And if it was, why?

"And you want her on your label?" Hunter asked, but the man, apparently called Martin, ignored him completely.

"I first saw you sing on a video from one of Hunter's Coffee Houses. I liked you, but my colleagues weren't, and still aren't, sure about you."

I was still confused. Ok, they don't like me. Then why was he here?

"Do you want to be on a label?" He asked me flat out.

I looked at Hunter for a reassuring sign. I knew I looked uneasy about it. I just didn't want to rush into it.

Thankfully, Hunter answered for me: "Can we get back to you on that?"

For the first time since Hunter made an appearance, Martin looked addressed him directly.

"There shouldn't be a 'we'," he said. "This is all Laurel. Or at least it should be," he scoffed.

"Excuse me?" I said sternly. "If you hadn't noticed, this is potentially a life altering decision and I would like the only person capable of making me feel okay help me make this decision. K?"

He nodded and I knew I finally cracked him. He was on my level now, and I might actually get some answers.

I raised my eyebrow and he got the hint.

"Ok..." He began. "They want to know you're serious about this. And the way they'll know if your serious or not is if you quit YouTube."

"No," i immediately replied. "I'm not quitting."

He looked down in defeat. This must have been his last big chance before they would drop him and go for someone younger to fill his position.

This filled me with guilt to no end. I was ending his career. But there was nothing I could do about it. I wouldn't give it up for a music career that might not even work. This YouTube thing was working. Why risk ruining that?

He started to walk away and me and Hunter exchanged nervous glances. Then the twinkle in his eye came. The one where he had an idea.

"Wait!" Hunter called after him. Martin stopped and turned around.

"What?" He said in a annoyance.

"We could use YouTube to help us."

"What are you suggesting?" He became intrigued and started inching closer toward us.

"Laurel already has a huge following. Use it."

Then Martin understood. A smile grew across his face and he nodded slightly.

"You might be on to something, kid."

Hunter smiled like a little kid who just won a trophy: proud and confident.

"I say we make a music video," I said. The both looked at me strangely, not expecting me to say anything.

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Martin asked. "I don't have the label's support. Therefore we have no money."

"I happen to know a music producer," I looked at Hunter. "A talented editor," I thought of Julia. "And tons of YouTube friends that I know for a fact would be willing to be in it."

"I am going to call a studio and book us some time," he said taking out his smart phone. "You two," he said and pointed at me and Hunter. "Pick a song and rally the forces. We don't have a ton of time."

And he walked off , gabbing to someone on the other line about how Tuesday "will most certainly not work".

Once he was gone, me and Hunter still stood backstage and thought for a moment.

Then Hunter said, "What song do you wan to do?"

"I have no idea."

"You should do Follow Your Arrow," he said. I got my head out of the clouds and said:

"Kacey Musgraves?"

"Yep. It would make a sick video."

Then the idea popped into my heads. I grabbed Hunter's hand and pulled him out of backstage and ran into the crowd of people.

"Where are we going?" He said trailing behind me. He almost had to yell because the people were so loud. YouTube Fans...

"To rally the forces!" I yelled to quote Martin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You may all be wondering why you are here," I said addressing the room of YouTubers.

Tyler Oakley was siting on the arm of the green coach and Joe Sugg was next to him. Ingrid (missglamorazzi) was on the chair and Meghan was standing next to her. The O2L boys (Connor Franta, Ricky Dillion, Sam Pottorff. Zoe (Zoella) and Alfie (PointlessBlog) were in the corner with Marcus Bulter and Casper Lee. Julia was standing uo next to me. We were an odd group. Especially with Hunter just awkwardly hovering around.

Everyone looked up at me and I continued, "I need your help. This guy wants to give me a record deal," I was cut off my Connor yelling, "Go Laurel!"

"But," I restarted. "He can't give it to me unless I prove that I'm taking this seriously. Enter the music video."

Everyone nodded an agreed they would help. "What's the song?" Zoe asked in her British accent.

"Yeah, what's the song?" Trevor, the usual singer of the group, piped in.

"Follow Your Arrow by Kacey Musgraves," I stated.

"I like that song," Casper said. "It's funny."

"Yeah, it is funny" Ricky said.

"So make lots of noise!" Tyler sang.

"Kiss lots of boys!" Marcus yelled.

Then Aflie continued, "Or kiss lots of girls if that's something you're into!"

Then all of the boys stood up and formed a conga line. The sang and danced all over the room while the girls communicated in sighs and eye rolls.

At this point Hunter was seriously confused, but to the rest of us it was just another day.

Filming this thing will be interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ya! Now you know who that guy is! And i know I said I'd link all of the youtubers but that just takes a long tome so just google them if you don't know who they are.

Did y'all like the chapter?

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia