Chapter 53. Goodbyes

Chapter 53

Hunter's POV

Laughter echoed throughout our entire table at the restaurant. I was sitting next to Laurel, her parents were across from us, and her brothers were at the heads of the table.

"Ok, I may have run into a door, but I was six," Laurel said. Everyone, including me, kept laughing at this story.

"The best part was she basically fell straight back onto the floor," her brother Jake added.

"You can shut up now," she said and took a bite of her chicken caesar salad.

I trie to diffuse the tension by asking, "How are y'all liking Nashville?"

After that I got the play by play of their entire day in the city. From Laurel's performance, to the Opry and even catching a little but of Carrie Underwood's show.

"She was incredible. Her voice is angelic and she can hit notes that I didn't even know existed. And her hair is always perfect and you are so lucky you got to tour with her," Laurel rambled about Carrie.

I remember the Blown Away Tour like it was yesterday. It was one of the best experiences of my life. It was a full on stadium/arena tour. I was playing for thousands of people every night. And on top of it all, I was fairly new to the spotlight. Yes, I have been doing this since I was 6, but my career only really took off after Carrie gave me that little boost. I remember the last show, I was just singing Light Me Up like I always did, and then I heard this awful noise. I look up and on the screens behind me there were goats. Screaming goats. Carrie pranked me. But then she took is bowling so we're good.

The conversation quickly moved on to other things. The usual stuff. Laurel will be moving down here in a couple of weeks. Katherine is going to make the drive with her, say with us for a week and then fly fly to California where her parents will meet her with her stuff.

I didn't get to see Laurel's performance, but I know that she killed it. I also knew that she didn't want to be a singer, she wanted to be behind the scenes. So that very well could have been her first, and last performance.

After dinner was over, I kissed Laurel goodbye and her and her family walked toward their hotel. I'm driving them to the airport tomorrow morning, and then I go to Canada. When I get back, she'll be here too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up around 8, took a really quick shower, got dressed and then hopped into my black range rover to pick everyone up and drive them to the airport.

I turned on the radio they were doing an interview. I decided that I would call in and say hey to Cody Alan because he is a good guy.

I dialed the number and someone immediately picked up the phone. It was assistant or something. They asked for my name and when I said Hunter Hayes, there was dead silence on the other end followed by the guy screaming "Cody!".

After another few seconds, Cody said hello. I said hey. And then he told me we were on the air.

"What made you call Hunter?" He asked me.

There was a red light ahead of me, so I pit down the break and said, "I'm driving my girlfriend and her family to the airport and I need something to do" he laughed. "Plus I haven't talked to you in awhile."

"So how are things, Hunter?" He asked.

"Great actually. Wrapping up fair season and I have a lot of cool things coming up. Musically and non musically."

"What kind of things?" He asked.

"You know, the usual. More shows. And more shows. But now I have someone who makes it not all about the music anymore. Which is nice because I can take a break without feeling like the only break I want to take involves music."

"What is this special lady's name?"

"Laurel Flannagin."

"Is she coming on tour with you?"

"No actually. She's starting collage"

The hotel came into view and I said to Cody, "I just pulled up in front of the hotel so I got to go. Take care, man."

"You too, Hunter. Don't turn off the radio because I'm going to play your song."

I laughed and hung up. Sure enough Tattoo started playing.

Then I looked over to the entrance of the hotel and saw Laurel struggling withe her gigantic black suitcase. She kept trying to lift it up but she couldn't, so I got out if the car and went to her assistance.

I lifted it up and into the trunk with no problem.

She said, "Thank you, Hunt. So much strength in those guitar playing arms."

I flexed and she laughed. Then, the rest of her family came out. I helped them out their bags in the back and then we all got into the car. Laurel's dad was in the front seat, which made me slightly nervous.

There wasn't much conversation on the ride their. Just a confirmation of plans. But right as we were pulling up to the entrance of the airport, Laurel's dad said, "You're a good guy, Hunter." That made me smile.

I got out of the car and helped them get their bags out. Laurel was standing off to the side. so I went over to her and wrapped her into a hug. She started crying and I didn't know why.

"What's wrong, Laur?" I asked. She sniffled and said:

"The next time I go to this airport,

i'll be going to collage. And I'll be with you."

"So are these happy tears or sad tears?"

He face relaxed and her words were swift, but powerful. "A little of both"

She buried her face into the crook of my neck and I hugged her even tighter. Her family was just over to the to the side, watching it all unfold.

Another moment passed before I said, "You gotta go or you'll miss your flight."

She nodded and wiped the remaining tears from her eyes. I kissed her and we exchanged "i love you"s before she walked away with her family.

Countdown until I see her again: 14 days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With the help of my friend, I finally figured out the plot for the rest of the book. It's not going to be more than 75 chapters (I hope it's less), so we are nearing the end.

I hope y'all like the chapter.

Comment and vote!:)

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia