Chapter 37. Tattoo

For one part I highly recommend listening to Tattoo by Hunter Hayes. You'll know when...

Chapter 36.

"Surprise!" Everyone in the room yelled. When the lights came on Laurel realized that they were in the country club her family belonged too. The usually plain ball room was adorned with balloons of all colors, streamers and other decorations. The big window overlooked the impeccably maintained golf corse and in front of it was a buffet table with chicken fingers, fries and pizza. The doors to the porch were open so guests could freely move between the in and outdoors.

Laurel's parents came up to her and wished her birthday happiness."Happy birthday, princess," her dad said. Jake and Laurel wished each other happy birthday and Jake explained to her that he could have his party anytime, but Hunter would only be here for a couple days so it was more important to have her party now. Laurel's heart filled with gratitude and appreciation. She thanked him and then Katherine ran up to her screaming.

"Happy 18th!" She yelled. "You're an adult!"

"Thanks Katherine. That video was amazing. I almost cried," Laurel stated. "Who made it?"

"Only your best youtube friend," She said.

Julia was Laurel's first and best youtube friend she had ever made. Julia's channel was JustJulia. They immediately bonded over their similar channel names and have been close for a while now.

"Julia did all that?" Laurel asked.

"She had to. She was the only one who could."

"Remind me to thank her later," Laurel said.

They spent the next 15 minutes talking about memories they had together, cake, and Katherine's boyfriend Luke before Laurel had to go say hi to everyone else.

While Katherine was distracting Laurel (as part of the plan), Hunter slipped away to make a phone call.

"Steve!" He whisper-yelled into the phone from the small coat closet. "Steve!"

"Hunter, we are on our way. Chill," Steve replied.

"I can't chill!"

"Then relax."

Hunter looked annoyed and rolled his eyes, then he said, "When are you guys gonna get here?"

"5 minutes."

"Ok. Good," then he hung up the phone and tried to exit the closet as gracefully as possible, but it didn't really work and he ended up stumbling into a wall. Classic Hunter.

Laurel's mom saw him from down the hallway and started running towards him. Hunter regained his balance right as she asked, "They're coming, right?"

"Yes ma'am," Hunter said following her at quite a brisk pace to keep up.

"Well we should get you backstage then." The walked out the big front doors of the country club and followed a path that led them to a grassy area. In the middle of the grassy area was stage, or a least as much as a stage you could have on a day notice. It was raised about 2 feet off the ground, so it wasn't much, but it would get the job done.

"I'm gonna go see what Laurel's up to," she said and she walked over to the steps that led to the porch.

Hunter was left to stand alone behind the stage with all of the instruments for about 30 more seconds before the guys came pulling up in a golf cart.

"Seriously?" Hunter said. "A golf cart?"

Matt pit his feet up on the dash and said, "You got a problem with that?"