Chapter 59: The End

You never think someone will leave you

You never expect that your worst nightmare will come true.

It blindsides you. It blindsided me.

And that's what's so scary about it.

•3 months earlier•

My heart was beating out of my chest as I made the drive to the hospital. I was going as fast as I could possibly go, but it wasn't fast enough.

I was tapping my thumb anxiously on the steering wheel. Even though the scenery outside the windows changed, i was still stuck in the same situation. Laurel was in an ambulance on her way to the hospital, and I wasn't there.

It was actually terrifying. The love of my life is sick. The girl I want to marry, is in the hospital.

She doesn't deserve this. She is nothing but caring, generous, kind.

If she leaves me, i don't know what I'd do.

I pull up to the hospital and frantically search for a parking spot. The only one i can find is far away from the doors, but i don't even care. I park the car and start sprinting to the doors

"Can you tell me what room Laurel Flannagin is in?" I ask the woman at the front desk. I'm out of breath and a nervous sweat is dripping down my forehead.

The woman types something in the computer. Every letter she punches in is like a dagger to my heart.

"She's in room 217," she explained. "Down the hall and to the left."

I burst into a sprint and make it halfway down the hallway before a nurse yells at me. I then speed walk to the room.

When I get there, Laurel is sitting there in the bed and the nurse is putting an IV into her arm. The monitors make this room seem extremely scary.

Laurel notices my presence in the doorway and smiles slightly. The nurse nods at me and exists the room, sensing me and Laurel would want to be alone.

I take my eyes off of her for one second to look around the room, and when i look back she's crying.

I kneel down on the floor next to her "shh shhh" i say. "What's wrong, baby?"

"You were right."

The tears start flowing out of her eyes more rapidly. "I'm not fine."

I wrapped her up in my arms.

"The doctor says my lungs are filling with fluid," she sniffled. "And that it may be too rapid to stop completely."

"You're strong. You'll be okay. We're going to get married someday," I said. She smiled but the tears were still in her eyes. "And we'll have an incredible life."

"Don't make me cry more than I already am." She laughed and wipe a tear from her eye.

Then we heard a knock on the open door. The doctor walked in and pulled me out into the hall.

"Laurel's lungs are filling with fluid because the bronchitis has created little holes. We're going to try to drain them, but the holes mean that they will continue filling with fluid, and will continue to do so until the bronchitis is gone. It's going to become very difficult for her to breathe".

I started pacing around the hallway. Not her. Not Laurel.

"Is there anything else you can do?" I asked. I was so frustrated. I couldn't just let her leave. Not without a fight.

"We'll do everything we can."

"That's not enough! You can't let her leave me!" I yelled.

"Sir, I promise you, we're going to do everything we can."

"I don't care what you need to do. I want to spend the rest of my life with her. If she...." I sighed. "If she," i began. "If she dies," I breathe in deeply and that's when the first tear fell.

"Mr. Hayes, go be with her."

I nod and go back into the bleak room.

"What's shakin',bacon?" She asks me when i enter the room. She was now hooked up to multiple machines, and was in the process of being hooked up to more.

I go and sit down in an uncomfortable chair, but because it was next to her I could sit in it forever.

"I want to name her Caroline." She says out of the blue.

"What?" I ask.

"When we get married and have kids, I want to name our first girl Caroline."

"We can do that," I laugh.

And then I do it. I get down on one knee. Right there in the hospital room.

"Laurel, this is probably a little odd and awkward for you but i'm odd and awkward so you're probably used to it by now," i begin. "If our past conversations weren't any indication, I want to marry you. And I would like to make that official. No, i do not have a ring yet, but i will. And i do already have the love in my heart. So, Laurel, will you marry me. Someday."

She starts crying. Happy tears I hope. "Hunter, yes. I would kiss you right now but I kinda can't move." She laughs.

"I can fix that," i say and I stand up and kiss her.

And at that moment in time, everything wad good. Everything was bad, but I knew it could be good. We'll stay together through the good and the bad. The healthy times as well as the sick ones.

Doesn't Laurel Hayes have a nice ring to it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This my friends, is the last chapter of Dear Diary.

Don't worry they'll be an epilogue;)

Hearts and Rockets,

Julia