Chapter 15. Issues

Chapter 14

Hunter's POV

After the show we went back to the bus and the guys went to bed. Me being me, I couldn't go to sleep that early. It was around 11 at night.

I went into the "kitchen" and made myself a cup of coffee. The steam billowed up from the mug of the delicious liquid.

I sat on the couch and pulled out my laptop, remembering the message Laurel sent earlier. I pulled up the message and read it again.

The guys and I briefly discussed the name situation before the show. At at Steve's suggestion, I decided to call myself H. Not completely lying, but not telling the truth either.

Now I'm sitting on the couch staring at the bright screen in front of me. Why is this communicating thing so hard? I brought my hands to my far and rubbed my eyes, not knowing what to do at the moment. Then, a lightbulb went off in my head and I began to type:

You can call me H. So what are you up to tonight? Probably something crazy.

You get it? Crazy. I'm hinting at my identity, but I have a feeling she won't pick up on it. It's one of those things where eventually the person tell you and you think "Why didn't I see that before?"

I don't expect her to reply since it's so late and she probably has much better things to do in her spare time. I began putting my laptop away, but as soon as I closed it, the familiar sound echoed from the laptop. I quickly opened it again and saw the words all there, waiting to be read:

Hey H! Just listening to some music and editing a new video, nothing interesting.What about you?

I'm not really doing anything at the moment. Just enjoying my coffee.

So I immediately typed back:

Just having a cup of coffee. What are you listening too?

I sent it and began feeling very bored just waiting. I began tapping my fingers against the leather of the couch and became very fidgety. Finally, I had enough of the boredom and stood up and grabbed my guitar from across the room.

I began to strum a couple of chords, knowing that no one would mind me making noise at such a late hour. They all understood my obsession.

"After all this time you'd think I'd be", I sang softly, "Used to the pull of your gravity".

It's from my new record and is called Still Fallin. I've only played live a couple times and most of my Hayniacs already know the words. I swear, sometimes they know the words to my songs before I do.

Then the beep I know all too well came out of my laptop. I walked over to the couch and sat down, opening the laptop a the same time. I adjusted it on my lap before I began to read:

I'm listening to Hunter Hayes (as usual). He's my favorite artist of literally all time lol. And coffee? It's 11 where I am!

She just doesn't understand yet. But she will.

But the fact that she said that I'm her favorite artist ever is really... Humbling. It was making me blush. Knowing that people not only like my music but love it is so surreal. It honestly feels like a dream. A incredible dream. One that I can't believe became reality.

I scanned the words again, trying to think of a response. I decided to address this coffee issue we have. I didn't think that I would have to do this, but apparently I do. I wrote:

I love coffee. Coffee is a lifestyle. Therefore I am going to drink coffee. And I just got offstage, so I think that I need it.

And I immediately sent it. I sent it without reading it over or giving it a second glance. Then I realized what I had sent.

"I cannot believe I just did that." I said to myself, not yet truly understanding what I had just did.

I knew what I had to do. I had to wake the guys. They probably aren't even asleep yet anyways.

I walked over to the bunks, not paying attention to how loud I was being.

"You guys!" I shouted standing right next to the bunks. "We have a situation!"

"What is it Hunter?" Sam said opening the curtain.

"I sent something I shouldn't have to Laurel."

"Did you..."

"NO SAM. I DID NOT TELL HER MY UNDYING LOVE FOR HER".

He stood up. "Well I was actually gonna say 'did you say who you were'. Your mind came up with that one on your own"

"Just wake up the rest of them. I'm going to see if she replied", I said rolling my eyes.

I walked back to the couch and plopped myself down. No new messages. I don't know if this is good or not. If she hasn't responded yet, maybe Laurel hasn't seen it yet. Or maybe she did see it and figured out who I was and is now severely creeped out.

I was having my little mental breakdown was the rest of the guys walked over and Matt said, "What's up Hunt. Girl troubles?"

Now I was really annoyed. I rolled my eyes "No it is not 'girl troubles'." I said putting air quotations around 'girl troubles'. "I told Laurel that I was having a cup of coffee because i just got off stage" I explained keeping the details to a minimum knowing that everything I said would be held against me for the rest of time.

"Oh" was the only response any of them were able to conjure up.

"Oh? That's all you have to say? Oh? I thought you guys would be making fun of me and saying that I was stupid or whatever." I said.

"There are tons of jobs that involve going on stage" Sam said trying to help the situation.

"Really? Like what?" Steve replied leaving agains the counter.

"Uh... He could be a uh.." Sam paused to think, "A dancer".

We all just burst out laughing. "Me?A dancer." I said between fits of laughter. "I'm an awful dancer."

"He's right" Steve said. "I know in Everybody's Got Somebody But Me he said he was good, but he was lying".

"You could be an actor."Sam snapped back at us.

"It is the east and Juliet is the sun."I said very overdramatic and taking a bow at the end.

They all clapped. "Very believable." Matt said trying to hold in his laughter.

"You could be a model coming back from a fashion show." Sam suggested.

"Yeah, because we all know I have this ridiculously hot body" I said standing up and flexing my arms.

"Yeah, all 5 feet of it", Devo said laughing, obviously very proud of his comeback.

"Dude. I'm not that short!"

"How tall are you?" Devo asked

"Too short"

"How about you're a production assistant for another singer?" Sam said like he was having an epiphany.

"Yeah, let's go with that."