Chapter 31. The First Date

Chapter 30.

Laurel POV

His car smells like coffee. Shocker.

But how doesn't he know where we're going?

"How don't you know where we're going?" I ask confused. If he didn't plan this, then who did?

"This was all our friends's idea,". He began explaining. He turned the key in the ignition and the car started humming. "I was told to put on the GPS and go exactly where it tells me,".

"We have the weirdest friends," I note.

"We really do,".

We pull out of my driveway and on to the street. The sun is just starting to set and turn a light orange color. Then I remember something:

"If you're Hunter Hayes, then you can sing me whatever song I want anytime, right?" I ask him. He nods his head and starts laughing.

"I guess. What do you want me to sing?", He looked over to me and flashed his famous smile. It looks a million times better in person.

"Hmm..." I thought for a moment, "A Thing About You. I've always loved that song. You have no idea..." I trailed off looking out the window. The scenery kept dashing by. The sky behind it seems a little too perfect. A sunset that looks painted. That in no way could be real.

"Why, Laur?" He already has a nickname for me. My parents used to call me that, but once I went to middle school I refused. I don't actually know why. I think it was the fact that having a nickname meant actual parental involvement, which in those days wasn't cool. I want him to call me it though. It's a new chapter in my life. I can feel it. What better way to start off than with a new name?

I don't know if I want to tell him or not. We've been dating for less than a day and usually you save the deep stuff for at least day 2. This is as deep as it gets for me.

His blue eyes shone brightly and he waited for my answer. I already know so much about him, he deserves to know a little about me.

"I used to be very self conscious," I began. His eyes filled with worry. I don't want him to worry. "I cried when I looked into the mirror," I looked over and he had that look of pity that I hate. I'm fine.

"Don't you dare feel sorry for me," I snapped. "It's over. Done with. I've recovered,".

His head turned towards me. "Recover? From what?,".

The look it my eyes said it all apparently. "You didn't have...".

"I had an eating disorder. Ok? It's over. You don't need to help me because you already did,".

He took his eyes off the road and looked over at me again. This time instead of pity, his eyes were filled with awe.

"What do you think A Thing About You did? You taught me to love myself again, Hunter. Without even being there."

Without a moments hesitation he sang, "There's a painting hanging somewhere in Paris...".

He sang the rest of the song to me, while still following the GPS. Every couple of seconds it would say to turn right or go 50 more feet, but it didn't break his concentration. He started caring about me more in one day than other people cared about me for my entire life.

When the song ended I said, "Thank you. You helped me enough already though,".

"I can't believe that happened to you," He pulls into a parking lot and the GPS states, "you have reached your destination".

"Can we please drop it? It's over with. I don't really want to remember,". I ask him. He gets the key out of the ignition and says:

"If it happens again, you know I'll always be here,".