Chapter 22. Surprises

Chapter 22.

Laurel's POV

Don't kill me, diary. I'm sorry I haven't been writing. After the whole diary disaster thing I just didn't have the motivation. But even with the lack of self reflection, my life has been pretty dang spectacular. Well let's start off with the real world. I got into UCLA. I haven't decided yet because I got into TSU as well. I have to decide soon, but I have no idea. Katherine is fine. She has a new boyfriend. I guess he's nice. He's hot. I'm not even gonna beat around the bush: He is attractive. Everything else seems to be falling in place too, including YouTube. I'm going to VidCon in August. Ya!! That makes me happy:). Ok so now for the interesting part of my life. I've been talking to this guy H for 4 months now. He is sweet and caring and helpful and funny and any other positive adjective you could possibly think of. I've been talking to his friends too and they swear that he likes me, but I highly doubt it. I'm not likable. Ok, I guess in some light you could say that I am pretty. And I guess that some people may view me as "successful ", but I repel guys. They like the idea of me, but once they have a conversation they immediately exit dramatically. I guess that's why I like H. I don't know him. He doesn't know me. And yet, he still talks to me. Daily. He didn't start to hate me. I don't know. I'll probably never meet this guy. But knowing someone cares, it's pretty spectacular.

I shut my diary and set it down on my desk. I placed my blue pen on top of it and rubbed my right hand, which was currently aching from writing. I love writing. Absolutely love it. I can get out all of my thoughts and re-read it someday and know exactly how I was feeling when I wrote it. It's like a time capsule written in ink and preserved between pages and pages of paper. Every word having a meaning. No thought left undocumented.

I stood up from my chair and took two steps on my white, fluffy, decorative rug that covered half of my room before plopping down on my bed with my face buried in the pillows and my brown hair in my face. I rolled over and pulled out my phone from my pocket and opened up Instagram.

The We're Not Invisible tour is going well. No. Better than well, it's going great. Every time I open my phone I am greeted by pictures of girls standing in front of the bus, or taking selfies with one of Hunter's band members. That could have been me. If my parents didn't randomly decide that I couldn't go anymore.

To be honest, I'm still pissed about it. What was supposes to be the best day of my life was just snatched up from me and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.

The show is next week. Aka for an entire weekend my feed is going to be filled with pictures of what could have been. All of the memories I could have made.

I will not go on social media from next Friday until next Monday. I refuse. That's like self inflicted torture.

I decided that staring at pictures of Hunter wasn't helping any, so I decided to go downstairs to the family room and watch TV.

I walked down the stairs and turned the corner into the family room. The centerpiece of the room was a giant brown leather L-shaped couch. In front of it mounted on the wall was a flat screen TV. There was also a sliding glass door leading out into a patio area. It was the perfect place to relax and the surround sound made it perfect for watching movies.

I sat in my usual place on the couch (in the center where the two sides meet) and turned on the TV. I flipped through the channels looking for something that grabbed my attention, but it was to no avail because after 10 minutes of channel surfing my attention was still focused on the concert I would mot be attending. So, I looked through the moues we had and settled on The Hunger Games. I popped it into the DVD player and pressed play.

I have always loved this film and i knew almost every word to it. I sang the "Meadow Song" along with Katniss and I just started saying the words to the film brought all the way from the capitol when my mother walked in.

"War. Terrible war. A - " I was cut off by my mother walking in and standing right behind me.

"Yes..." I said trying to unearth her reasoning for awkwardly standing behind me while I was trying to break my record for the longest I could go saying every word to a movie. Right now it's 36 minutes.

"Come up to the kitchen for a second." She said starting to walk out of the room.

I quickly stood up and followed her. It looks like my record will have to be broken another time.

We walked into the kitchen and I saw my father sitting at the table reading the paper with an envelope beside him. My mother motioned for me to sit and I followed her orders, sitting into the chair directly across from my dad. She sat down next to him and he placed his paper on the dining room table and took a deep breath, obviously preparing for something. What that something is I do not know.

"Ok," he began. I started shaking in my chair. I tried to stop in an effort to now shake the whole table, but it didn't work and I soon found my leg shaking uncontrollably out of pure nervousness. I don't do surprises very well.

"Laurel, I'm going to give you something. Promise me you will not scream." He continued. I stared shaking in anticipation. I have no idea what could be in that envelope. Money? A gift card?

He picked up the envelope and handed it to me. I slowly moved my hand and took a hold of it. As I started to tear it open, my mind was racing and my heart beat faster and faster with every second still in suspense.

I finally opened it and unfolded the piece of slightly crinkly paper.

I scanned the words on the page quickly. It was a confirmation email.

For CHE.

I immediately jumped into the air and broke my promise immediately by screaming as loud as I possibly could.

I'm going.

I'm actually going.

I'm going to meet Hunter Hayes.

Next Friday.

At that moment I was totally oblivious to my parents rolling eyes and judging expressions.

I am going to meet Hunter Hayes.

My inspiration.

That's all that matters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope y'all liked it!

Don't forget to comment and vote. I love your feedback!