Chapter 39

A/N: A thousand apologies for disappearing again!!! I'm currently working on another book (still unpublished) and I kind of lost the motivation to write this one... Sorry 😅😅😅

***

Raina was surprised at Kabir's question. She guessed her nani (maternal grandmother) must have told him but she didn't want him to find out that way.

"I am," she replied. "But not so soon."

Raina couldn't understand why but she felt guilty.

"Are you ok with that?" Raina added.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Kabir questioned. "It's your life."

Ouch. That hurt.

Kabir caught the pained expression on her face and realized he might have came off a bit too harsh.

"What I meant was, sure, it came as a surprise but, it's ultimately your choice," Kabir continued. "If you're happy, then as your friend, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks...?" Raina asked more than said. "But that doesn't mean you're getting rid of me that easily. Not until the end of your treatment."

"No one said I was getting rid of you," Kabir said as he scrunched up his face. "I was actually thinking more on the lines of a free London vacation."

Raina rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"You're really so full of yourself, Kabir Varma," she pointed out. "Did you know that?"

"I know," he smirked.

Before Raina could come up with a reply, they heard Sonia calling. "Kabir! Raina! Dinner!"

Kabir's ears perked up at the idea of food. The sandwiches he had on the way hardly did anything to satisfy his hunger.

"I hope you're ready to put on a few kilos," Raina teased. "My mother can get a little bit carried away and nani (maternal grandmother) can be a little bit too affectionate."

"I think I can handle that," Kabir smirked as they made their way to the dining room.

***

15 minutes into dinner, Kabir started to understand the implications of Raina's words.

Half an hour into dinner, Kabir's stomach was ready to burst.

"Here Kabir," Sonia offered as she scooped more rice onto his plate. "Have some more rice."

"That's enough, Soniaji," he replied, trying to get her to stop. "I really don't think I can eat anymore."

"What nonsense," Sonia retorted. "Even Raina's father eats more than that."

"Arre, you hardly touched your chicken," Nani commented. "You should eat more meat. Look at you, you're so thin."

Kabir looked at Raina for help but received a sly smile in reply.

"Mom," she added just for amusement. "Kabir said that he would like to have your signature aloo paratha and pancakes one day. Do you think you can whip up a batch?"

Kabir's eyes widen at her statement.

"Soniaji," he literally begged. "I would love to have them but please save it for breakfast next time."