Chapter 12

A/N: An update as promised. This one is a lot more longer but more light-hearted than the last chapter.

Warning: Will contain a lot of Kabir-Raina nok-joke and wrist grabbing ahead... I'm not joking... Seeing the total amount of wrist grabbing involved, their wrists would either break or they should just hold hands forever... XD

***

As Kabir and Raina were standing near the end of the ballroom, it took very little effort to slip out. Suddenly, Kabir spotted two reporter and instantly dragged Raina to the nearest stairwell.

"Can you tell me what's going on?" Raina shouted at him.

He hushed her and peeked through the door. He knew that the press would be very interested in him since he was Tara's ex. Ex. He hated that word.

"Kabir," Raina called, her voice in a threatening tone.

"Media-walon," he told her. Oh. Raina had to remind herself she was with a public figure. "Who knows what stories they'll fabricate if they see us together."

Kabir then darted to railings to check if anyone else were there. Raina felt a slight tug and she looked down at her wrist.

"Err...Kabir?" she asked. "Are we safe yet?"

Kabir took another look up and down the stairwell.

"I think so," he said. "Why?"

"Nothing..." she said. "It's just that... Can I have my hand back?"

She gestured to her wrist and Kabir looked down. In the heart of all that running, Kabir forgot that he was still holding on to her hand. He then suddenly released it, as if it were some sort of a disease.

"Sorry," he said.

Kabir took one more look through the door and once he was satisfied, he relaxed and leaned on the door.

"Has it always been like this?" Raina asked.

"Yes," he replied. "All the time."

All the time?! Raina's eyebrows raised in shock. How do people live like that?

"Doesn't it bother you?" Raina inquired. Maybe he got used to it?

"It does," he explained. "But it comes with the job. And that's even not the worst part."

Not the worst part? What could be worse than being hunted down like prey? Being watched and scrutinized like some lab animal... The constant running and hiding... Don't people get tired of it?

"You should read the stories that they write," he continued. "Those are the worst. They made me sound like I'm some spawn of the devil. It's an image that I have to live with for the rest of my life. Do you know how much trouble it has caused me?"

Raina could see the anger burning in his eyes. She pitied him.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I didn't know."

"Don't apologize, Raina," he told her. "If it's anyone who needs to apologize, it's them. Don't ever believe a word of what they say."

A wave of silence fills the air as neither of them knew what to say. Finally, it was Raina who broke the silence.

"So, does this plan of yours come with a change of scenery?" Raina asked, changing the topic. She was getting a bit claustrophobic staying in there. Furthermore, there was a huge chance that someone might walk in on the both of them. It wasn't like they were doing anything wrong but it was just a precaution in case there were any (more) misunderstandings.