Chapter 9

A/N: Tere ore just randomly started playing on the radio just as I started writing this chapter (And it happens to be one of my favourite Katrina Kaif songs)... Followed by a whole lot of Priyanka Chopra songs i.e., Pyaar Ki Ek Kahani (Krrish), Aas Paas Khuda (Anjaana Anjaana)... Is this some sign from the universe??? XD

Session time, which means it's a long chapter ahead!!! Grab some popcorn because it's going to a bumpy ride...

Aaannnndddd, it's Priyanka Chopra's birthday!!! So, happy birthday PeeCee!!! Keep on rocking!!!

***

After two sessions of meeting Ayesha or Sunny at the door, Raina was in a bit of a shock when she finds Kabir opening the door for her.

"Hi," he said, greeting her.

"Hi," she replied. "How are you today?"

"You saw me two days ago," he answered. "What do you think?"

"Well," she said, sheepishly. "I'd say you look well."

He smiled at her. A genuine smile. "Thanks," he told her.

He then ushered her into the living room and took their respective seats.

"Ayesha and Sunny finally trust me enough to leave me at home alone," he told her. "They've gone shopping for... A wedding..."

"I see," she said. Raina could see a pang of sorrow in his eyes. She decided it would be better to change the topic to avoid dampening the mood so early in in their session. "So, how many layers of the Kabir tiramisu did you manage to uncover since last week?"

"Honestly," he replied. "None."

"And why, may I ask?" Raina asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Suddenly, Kabir felt as though he has taken a step to the past. He felt like a schoolboy being chastised for not passing up his school work.

"I was afraid," he replied. "Dekhiye (You see), it's not that I don't want to share but... There's a whole lot of mess inside me. And from where I come from, I hate feeling helpless. That's why it took me such a long time to find help and that's also why I snapped at you during the first session."

Raina gave him a sincere smile.

"I know it's only been three weeks," she informed him. "But you've already made so much progress from the first time we met. Pride is something we hold on to so tightly that sometimes, we wear it like an armour to protect ourselves. Do you find it hard to admit your mistakes or to let go of that pride?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Do you know why?" Raina asked.

"I think it's my personality," he replied. "I was always a rebel and a sore looser."

"I see," she noted as she jotted it down in her notes. "So, I guess it must have been hard for you to be doing these therapy sessions?"

"Like I said, I don't like the feeling of helplessness," he answered. "I initially wanted to make things hard for everyone so that I didn't have to continue."

"What changed your mind?" Raina prodded.

"You," he replied. Raina averted her gaze from him, a tinge of red creeping up her cheeks. "You were different, you had no preconceived notions, you didn't judge me for being an alcoholic. For the first time in a while, I was finally meeting someone as the real Kabir Varma not 'Kabir Varma the fallen rockstar'. However, I will admit that as much as I enjoy the sessions, I still hated Ayesha and Sunny for making me do this."