Chapter 36

A/N:  I'm bringing in a character in a special apprentice from my other book, In Love With My Brother's Best Friend... Please put your hands together for Sonia Shah, Sameer's little sister played by Shraddha Kapoor!!! 👏👏👏

Also, introducing Jackie Shroff as Tara's dad!!! 👏👏👏

#ootd in the media section. Now, let the games... I mean, wedding ceremony... BEGIN!!!😜😜😜

***

It was a matter of time before the baaraat made itself known. Kabir's attention was immediately drawn to Vishal who was perched on a white horse and looking every bit like a prince. As Kabir made his way to the front of the crowd, his eyes scanned the crowd for his bespectacled doctor. He spotted Sunny, Arjun, his mother and her husband but he couldn't find Di and Raina. Where were they? Raina promised she'll be here.

However, as the crowd moved towards the mandap area, he spotted Di and Raina in deep discussion. It wasn't difficult to tell they were talking about hiding Vishal's shoes by their mannerisms and gestures. Kabir let out a breath in relief and made their way up to them.

"Hi," he greeted them. "So, what's the plan?"

"Plan?" Di faked ignorance. "What plan?"

"You know," Kabir tilted his head towards Vishal. He then lowered his voice to a whisper. "Joote (Shoes)."

"We're not doing anything," Di replied, too fast for comfort.

"Oh please," Kabir scoffed. "Spare me jhoote (lies) and tell me about the joote (shoes). After all, I'm actually from the Tara's side, unlike you two. Come on, I'm perfect for this job, no one will ever suspect me."

Di thought for a while before responding.

"Fine," she relented. "But you're our last resort. Till then, don't do anything unless instructed."

"What is this?" Kabir laughed. "A covert operation?"

"Aise samjho (Treat it as such)," Di answered. "Come on, the ceremony is going to start and I don't want to miss anything."

Di added a wink before leaving.

"Is she for real?" Kabir asked Raina.

Raina just shrugged in response. The both of them then made their to join the rest of the group.

"Where were the both of you?" Seema asked. Just as Kabir was about to reply, Seema cut him off. "Nevermind, I don't want to know."

Kabir looked over at the rest of his family and realized that Arjun and Sunny were missing.

"Where's Sunny and my 'beloved' brother?" Kabir asked.

"Finding the Vishal's hidden shoes," his mother sighed. "I can't believe they're still playing this at this age."

Kabir cast a sideways glace at Raina and saw her coyly smiling back at him. Kabir cleared his throat.

"It's just a bit of fun," Kabir replied. "And the two of them tend to get bored very easily."

"The auspicious hour has arrived," the pandit (priest) announced. "Please call the bride."

Kabir turned his attention towards the bridal entourage. Four of Tara's best friends held on to the phoolon ki chaadar (flower decorated sheet*) as Tara entered hand-in-hand with her father. Kabir's breath hitched as he saw how beautiful Tara looked.

*Phoolon Ki Chaadar :-