Chapter Fifty-Two | The Burrow, March 1998

Chapter Fifty-Two

The Burrow, March 1998

            Rain almost hid the Burrow from view, only a little light shining through the grey sheets. Inside Molly bustled about making tea, waiting for Arthur to come home. Hazel sat at the kitchen table, putting raspberries on the cake she’d made.

“I wonder what made Charlie want to organize tea?” Molly asked aloud “He hasn’t been home since Christmas, and he only stayed for a few hours.”

“Maybe he missed you.” Suggested Hazel.

“He was always a very solitary boy,” she said, putting the kettle on “Left home so easily…always preferred the company of animals rather than people.”

The door opened then, wind blowing in the cold rain. Charlie came in, shaking his head like a dog “Hullo Mum!”

Molly took her sons soaking wet cloak and kissed his cheek “You should have taken the floo, dear. Saved yourself from getting wet.”

“I didn’t realize it was raining.” he said “Is Sonia here?” looking around the kitchen his face positively glowed; Hazel thought to herself that he looked happier than she’d seen him in a very long time.

“She’s upstairs,” Hazel said “She’ll be down in a minute.”

“Alright. I – ah – need to go see if I left my – um – old yearbook in my room.”

Molly looked at Hazel incredulously as Charlie bounded up the rickety stairs. “What has gotten into him?” she asked.

Hazel shrugged “He’s twenty-five, he’s supposed to be odd.”

Upstairs Charlie stood outside the bathroom door, listening to Sonia retch into the toilet. She’d owled him saying her morning sickness had been getting steadily worse and how the only reason neither Andrew or her mother hadn’t noticed was because she had her own bathroom.

The sound of water rushing had Charlie alert, and the door opened to reveal a tired looking Sonia.

“How are you feeling?” he asked immediately, opening his arms.

Gladly walking into them, she sighed “Okay considering I can’t keep anything down.”

“Are you nervous?”

She shrugged “Mostly relieved – I can stop trying to be quiet. Do you know how difficult it is to vomit quietly?”

He chuckled as Molly called them to tea from downstairs. “Can you manage until we shock them into silence?”

“I’ll do my best.” She said, and they headed down the stairs. Hazel had finished decorating the cake and was pouring tea into mugs, Molly bustling about and asking a weary Arthur about his day.