Chapter Thirty-Nine | London, New Years 1996 & '97

Chapter Thirty-Nine

London, New Years 1996 & ‘97

            The streets of London were littered with party goers, and Andrew moved through them confidently, burning and bubbling with the energy of the evening. He reached a residential area, the houses larger than Hester House – and Andrew still got lost there, thanks to the magic.

Bounding up the front steps, he passed a few teens spilling out from within, some snogging in bushes, other holding red plastic cups and hanging around on the front porch. The front door was open despite the cold, and Andrew walked right in.

“Hey mate!” a guy called “Happy New Years! Whooooooo!!!” he cried, thwacking Andrew on the back and moving on.

Chuckling, Andrew moved on. He’d never been to a Muggle party, though Amara had told him about them; he’d never really liked large crowds, but being with Amara had given him a new kind of confidence. She’d said she usually hung around the living room, where most of the dancing went on, so he headed for where the beat thumping through the house seem to be coming from.

The living room was a large square, and someone had hung fairy lights criss-crossing over the ceiling and some sort of laser ball was projecting lights zipping across the room.

“You looking for someone?” someone shouted over the music, and Andrew turned to them, surprised he was being spoken to. The girl was wearing a tight white dress, her purple hair tugged up into a large bun.

“You know Amara Nelson?” he asked, trying to be heard over the music.

The girl nodded “Yeah, why?”

“I’m her … boyfriend.” Andrew didn’t think ‘boyfriend’ really explained what Amara was to him, but people believed it.

A blonde eyebrow crooked, and she took a long chug of whatever she was drinking “Too bad, you’re kinda cute. You’re the bloke she’s been seeing?”

“Er, yeah?”

“I see why Amara’s been keeping you to herself.” She looked him up and down “You’re home schooled right? Does that make you sort of freaky?”

Shaking his head, Andrew tried to subtly look around for Amara “No. Have you seen Amara?”

She waved off in a general direction “Dancing.” She wobbled off, downing her drink.

Heading into the thrashing mob of bodies, Andrew looked around for that flash of cinnamon hair, pale hands and sea glass eyes. There was a laugh from somewhere behind him, and he saw her – spinning, eyes closed and arms in the air. Her hair splayed out in heavy curls, a black dress fanning out, revealing her long pale legs, skin glowing in the dim light.

Walking up behind her, Andrew slipped his arms around her waist; sea glass eyes flashed open, and she spun in his arms. The smile she gave him when she realized who it was made his insides fizzle and pop like fireworks.