Chapter Twenty-One | Grimmauld Place, August 6, 1995

Chapter Twenty-One

Grimmauld Place, August 6th 1995

            The Bowen twins had offered to do the grocery run for Molly, being the only people she trusted and not in the Order meeting. Sonia said it was funny, that she’d been oddly rushed to get rid of them.

“You’d think we were a burden,” she said, opening the door to the sound of screeching.

“-I see you’ve met my mother.” Sirius finished saying as the twins walked through the door, seeing an unfamiliar person in the small crowd.

“Your -?” started the stranger.

“My dear old mum, yeah,” said Sirius. “We’ve been trying to get her down for a month but we think she put a Permanent Sticking Charm on the back of the canvas. Let’s get downstairs, quick, before they all wake up again.”

“But what’s a portrait of your mother doing here?”

“Hasn’t anyone told you? This was my parents’ house,” said Sirius. “But I’m the last Black left, so it’s mine now. I offered it to Dumbledore for Headquarters - about the only useful thing I’ve been able to do.”

“Who woke the hag up?” Sonia grumbled and shoved three bags of groceries in Ron’s arms “Honestly, does anyone here ever learn?”

“Sonia.” Sirius said, stepping past the stranger; as he did, the twins both got a good look at his face. Both paled noticeably and glanced at each other.

“Is that-?” whispered Sonia anxiously, taking hold of her godfathers sleeve.

“Yes.”

Andrew interrupted. “Someone has to tell Mum, she can’t show up and see him here.”

“I don’t want to hurt your mother any more than I have to,” said Sirius darkly “And I’ve already owled to not come; hopefully it will reach her before she leaves.”

“Erm, hullo.”

Sirius turned and smiled “Harry, let’s go to the kitchen.”

“Who are they?” Sonia heard Harry whisper to Ron, and she rolled her eyes.

“Sonia and Andrew Bowen, they’re my neighbours.” Ron replied, smiling nervously over his shoulder at the twins.

“I met Sonia before,” Harry muttered “In Diagon Alley, my first time…”

Sirius pulled the twins aside before they went into the kitchen “Harry knows nothing of Hazel, of either of you – I’m sorry, really. At the moment he must be kept in the dark.”

Sonia hated the thought of hiding their lives, but nodded “As far as he knows, we’re here with the Weasley’s for safety.”