Chapter Fifty-Three | London, March 1998

Chapter Fifty-Three

London, March 1993

A very broody young man stood outside one of London's most prestigious private schools, watching floods of boys and girls leave in smoky grey uniforms. Leaning against the fence he stared angrily into space, waiting for his girl to leave the building.

"Drew!"

Eyes flashing up, Andrew felt momentarily soothed as he saw Amara waving at him from the front steps, jumping slightly. Her dark hair was up in a high ponytail, swinging as she rushed down the steps and into his arms; he picked her up, kissing her like a dying man.

"Woah," she giggled "Where did that come from? I think you shocked my friends."

Glancing over at a gaggle of teens, Andrew waved slightly. Two boys and four girls stared back at him, gawking at Amara as she laughed. "Bye friends, and close your mouth before you catch a fly!"

Andrew took her hand and turned serious, and she immediately stilled. "What's wrong?"

"Sonia's pregnant." He said, all the emotion he'd been trying to push way down below and beneath anger suddenly rushing up, choking him.

Amara squeezed his hand and tugged him away from the school. "Let's go somewhere and talk."

The café they had first gone to the day they met was still the same, except now they sat on one of the cozy love seats. The stain glass windows cast dreary coloured light onto the couple; Amara fit comfortably under Andrew's arm, her feet tucked beneath her and hair now tumbling around her face.

They had been silent on the subway, Andrew just holding onto Amara's hand tightly. He was too distracted to disparate, and doing things the Muggle way soothed him.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked quietly after they ordered drinks. Her tiny hand rested on his thigh, feeling how tense he was.

"No."

"Alright-"

"How could she do that?" he burst out, face scrunched up in anger "I mean, she's supposed to be the one who is against love, never wanted kids or to get married or anything - always called me crazy for wanting to live a normal life - and now - now -" he deflated a little, bowing his head and staring at the triangle of velvet couch between his legs.

"It's okay, Andrew." Said Amara, reaching to stroke his cheek; it had a morning shadow, and she knew he hadn't shaved since the other day. "When did you find out?"

"Yesterday evening." He said "I went over to the Burrow for tea, and - and she was with Charlie and Mrs. Weasley told me she was pregnant and I -" he blushed, visibly ashamed.

"You what?"

"I punched him." He said quietly.

"Andrew!" she gasped "That is - that's not like you at all."

"I was angry," he supplied "And Sonia was so calm - happy even."

Amara gave him a quizzical look as their drinks were delivered "How is that bad?"

"I -" stopping, Andrew picked up his drink and thought for a moment. He didn't know why it was bad that Sonia was happy, but it seemed odd. "She hasn't been happy in a long time, Mara."

"Don't you want her to be happy? She's your sister."

Stirring his tea, Andrew sighed "Of course I want her to be happy, but not by getting knocked up at seventeen."