Chapter Twenty-Two | Grimmauld Place, August 1995

Chapter Twenty-Two

Grimmauld Place, August 1995

            It was early morning when Hazel left her room, in search of a cuppa of something to soothe her sleep. While waiting for the milk to heat up, the last and very fist person she wanted to see walked beneath the arch, froze for a moment and walked out.

“Harry!” she called after him, rising from her chair.

Walking back in slowly, Harry smiled sheepishly at her – it was the same smile James used to give Lily when he did something he knew would annoy her. “Erm, hullo.”

“Hello.” Sitting back down, she gave him a nervous smile “Would you like some warm milk?”

“I, uh…sure.” He stood awkwardly in the doorway, watching as she poured two cups of warmed milk and added some honey.

“You can sit, if you’d like.” She chuckled and slid the mug across the table. They sat facing each other, neither speaking.

“Can I ask you something?” asked Harry suddenly, eyes sleepy behind his glasses and not leaving his drink.

“You may ask me anything you want.”

Harry looked up briefly “Did you know my mother?”

She did not hesitate “Yes.”

“How?”

“We met at ten years old, before either of our eleventh birthdays. We had a…mutual friend, and we dreamed of going to Hogwarts together.”

Looking confused, Harry openly watched her now “You didn’t go though.”

Sighing, Hazel nodded “No, I didn’t.”

“Why?”

“I wasn’t allowed.”

Now he seemed angry “You weren’t allowed?”

“I…no, I wasn’t. It’s very complicated, Harry.” Hazel assumed Harry heard this a lot, and he was tired of it.

“Everything is complicated,” he huffed “I’m tired of people telling me it’s complicated and leaving it at that.”

Hazel wanted to badly to hold the boy, to reassure him how loved he had been and that everything would work out well in the end. “I was the same at your age, no one thought I could handle anything. We are more alike than you might think, Harry.”

“Yeah right.” He said bitterly “I doubt anyone knows what its like to be me right now.”