Chapter Sixteen | Hester House, August 1st 1994

Chapter Sixteen

Hester House, August 1st 1994

            The curtains flickered in a high window of Hester House, a pale face peering out. Sharp eyes dark as onyx peered through the lacy folds, looking for a sign – her one chance at freedom.

And then he was there.

Standing under the large willow Andrew and she had played beneath as children, he lifted his hand in a slight wave. Bolting from her window seat, Sonia raced down the stairs, reappearing on the porch, long curls blowing slightly in the wind. Letting out a sob, she raced across the lawn into her godfathers arms.

After hugging him for a moment, she remembered she was mad at Sirius and socked him in the arm.

I thought you were dead!” she shouted, eyes flaming very much like Hazel’s used to when she was angered by Sirius.

Giving her an apologetic smile, Sirius shrugged “I’m sorry Sunny; I had to lay low for a little while.”

“You could have owled!”

“No, I couldn’t.” he said slowly, reaching for her “Sunny, I would have owled if I could – I had to stay hidden for a while.”

Giving in, Sonia sighed and hugged him again “Thank you for coming, Sirius.”

Sirius smiled and held her tighter “You’re welcome – and Happy Birthday.”

Eyes lighting up, Sonia tugged his hand “Come on, Mum won’t be home for a little while. Come have some cake or-”

“Sirius?”

They turned together to see Hazel, standing at the end of the lane, holding Joseph’s hand. Letting go, Hazel took a step forward and pressed her fingers to her trembling lips, as if she were afraid of what she might say.

“Hazel…”

Moving forward, Hazel let Sirius take her in his arms and hold her tightly. She couldn’t believe this man was her Sirius, her friend, Sonia’s godfather – he looked like a dead man.

“You had me so worried.” She whispered.

“I know.” He said, stroking her curls.

Hazel wiped her eyes and held him tighter “I missed you.”

Sighing, Sirius kissed the top of her head “I missed you too, Hazel – Haze.”

Behind them, Joseph cleared his throat loudly.

“Er, hello.” He said, looking a tad uncomfortable.

Pulling away from Sirius, cheeks tinting pink, Hazel turned to Joseph. “Jo, this is Sirius Black, Sonia’s godfather.”