Chapter Twelve | Diagon Alley, November 1992

Chapter Twelve

Diagon Alley, November 1992

                   Severus’ footsteps made crunching noises over the fresh snow as he walked down Diagon Alley, the dark hood of his winter cloak pulled up to shield him from the wind. Entering Slug & Jigger’s Apothecary, a bell trilled over his head and he nodded to the witch behind the counter.

Moving between the shelves brought back memories of days long ago, counting small change and hoping he had enough to buy a rare kind of toads spawn. Though Severus had not made a potion for pleasure in a very long time, he did feel like a challenge – recently he’d been tempted to try the fantasy potion he’d heard of. It wasn’t hard, and if you used a belonging of someone you missed you would fall asleep and dream of them all night.

Severus missed seeing Hazel, and he thought maybe this could numb the pain for a while.

Voices brought him out of his daze, and Severus looked around; the voices were young – too young to not be in school this time of year.

“We need Flobberworm mucus Andy, remember?” said a girls voice, a little exasperated.

“I still need to pick up my order from Obscure Books, and we need to meet Mum in half an hour.” Said the second voice, obviously male – not quite past puberty yet.

“I know, I know. I’ll be quick.” The girl continued, and Severus felt an itching at the back of his brain – they voices sounded familiar…the girls at least.

“Could you hurry up Sonia?” asked the boy, sounding nervous. “You know Mum hates it when we’re late.”

Andy and Sonia.

Andy as in Andrew – his Andrew and Sonia.

It struck Severus then, like a bludger to the head. Suddenly unable to breathe, he moved some bottles aside and peeked through the shelves. The girl and boy stood on the other side, facing away from him. Both had curly hair and wore cloaks, but had Muggle attire on underneath. Unable to take his eyes off of them, Severus devoured every detail he could; Sonia was a little shorter than her brother, and had Hazel’s curls and silkiness but his colour, and she turned he saw her face looked like Hazel’s but with his sharpness. Her dark eyes were fierce even when her posture was relaxed, and her nimble fingers picked up a vial of Flobberworm mucus, sharp eyes examining its worth.

Beside her Andrew was the opposite; his face was still a little babyish, with pale skin with a flush Sonia didn’t possess. His large blue eyes were framed by the same dark lashes as Sonia’s, and he blonde curls were almost transparent – he looked so much like Hazel Severus felt his chest ache.

Severus knew they were twelve, but already they were so grown up – already Sonia had hints of the woman she would become, red lips full and a few curves visible beneath the tight fitted sweater and jeans beneath her cloak. You could tell Andrew was going to be tall – there was awkwardness about him, like he wasn’t quite used to his limbs.