Chapter Forty-Three | Bowen Manor, July 1997

Chapter Forty-Three

Bowen Manor, July 1997

            It was a sunny summer day when Sonia and Andrew trekked over the hill to the Burrow, greeted by cheers from the twins – they could have a proper Quidditch team now.

“Of course you could help with the wedding instead.” Mrs. Weasley shouted at them from the kitchen, but she was ignored – the six teens headed out to the field, brooms in hand.

“We take Sonia!” the twins said, and Hermione rolled her eyes.

“I’m not that bad.” She defended, and Ron sniggered, but stopped when Hermione sent a glare his way.

Sonia merely grinned and joined in the game. They’d barely finished when she caught sight of a figure standing at the edge of the field, red hair standing out against the foliage.

“Go on without me,” she called “I’m going to head home.”

“We’re supposed to stay the night,” Andrew reminded her “Remember the wedding, Harry’s birthday? He’s arriving tomorrow night.”

“I know, I know – I forgot something. Tell Molly I’ll be back for supper…maybe later.”

Andrew shrugged and followed the Weasley's back to the Burrow. Flying across the field, she landed within the trees and tackled the freckled young man.

“What are you doing here?!” she cried.

“I’m taking you out,” he said “One happy day, just for us.”

Pretending to think, Sonia couldn’t help the joy blooming within her, swelling like a balloon and rising until she couldn’t tease him any longer “Okay Mr. Nice Guy, where’re we going?”

Charlie smiled “I’m taking you to a fair.”

            The lights of the fair lit up the dusk as Charlie and Sonia went on their last ride, weaving through the crowds.

“Oh!” Sonia said, tugging them back again “We missed the Ferris Wheel.”

Charlie put his arm around her and led the way “You can be a little late for supper, right?”

On the way up the Ferris wheel Sonia let herself fully feel elated by the days events; it felt so good to be open with Charlie, walk hand in hand and not worry about who saw them. It felt so much more real, and they relaxed fully – as if the war going on didn’t even exist.

When they reached the top of the wheel Sonia looked over the town and farmers fields, not recognizing her fathers neighbourhood from above. However, she did recognize something else.

“Stop the wheel.” She said, and Charlie did so without asking why. “I can’t believe it.” Whispered Sonia, leaning forward in her seat, eyes locked on the hill.