Chapter Eight | Hogwarts, October 31 1991

Chapter Eight

Hogwarts, October 31st 1991

                            Severus had never enjoyed Halloween.

It had always involved too many practical jokes and teasing, more abuse and less sympathy; they were meaner and wilder, and Severus could do nothing. There had been a time however when Halloween had been fun, full of laughter and candy – and most importantly, his girls.

Unlike Severus, Hazel and Lily had both loved Halloween. Before they met Lily and it had just been the two of them Hazel had made costumes that either contrasted greatly or were so perfectly synced that it blew everyone away.

They always wore masks.

Now, at thirty-two years old, alone and bitter, Severus found no joy in the holiday. Hogwarts was appropriately decorated, as always; a thousand live bats fluttered from the walls and ceiling while a thousand more swooped over the tables in low black clouds, making the candles in the pumpkins stutter. The feast appeared suddenly on the golden plates, as it had at the start-of-term.

Severus was picking at his food when Professor Quirrell came sprinting into the Hall, his turban askew and terror on his face. Everyone stared as he reached Professor Dumbledore’s chair, slumped against the table and gasped, ‘Troll – in the dungeons – thought you ought to know.’

He then sank to the floor in a dead faint.

There was uproar. It took several purple firecrackers exploding from the end of Professor Dumbledore’s wand to bring silence.

‘Prefects,’ he rumbled, ‘lead your houses back to the dormitories immediately!’

Standing, Severus received a nod from Dumbledore and swiftly left the Great hall, listening to that bumbling Weasley idiot tell the first years not to panic, everything would be fine if they just followed his orders. Snorting, he shook his head; if he were a first year with that ingenious prefect he’d be scared too.

After a search of the Dungeons for the troll, Severus returned to the staff room; the teachers had gathered there and were whispering in small groups – no one motioned him over. Quirrell was not present.

“Headmaster, I saw no sign of the troll.” He said.

“The matter has been dealt with.” Said Dumbledore.

“By who?” asked Severus harshly.

Dumbledore smiled lightly, eyes glinting behind half moon spectacles “Our young celebrity, Mr Potter and his friends, Mr. Weasley and Ms. Granger.”

“Some celebrity.” He grumbled “The boy will have an inflated head by Christmas, and we’ll need more than a pin to deflate it.”

Chuckling, Dumbledore gave him a pat on the arm “I know he strongly resembles James Potter, Severus, but I truly believe he was Lily’s heart.”