Chapter Fifty-Nine | Hester House, May 1 1998

External link is Sonia's wedding dress :)

Chapter Fifty-Nine

Hester House, May 1st 1998

            Mid day sun filtered through the gauzy curtains in Hazel’s room, but she wasn’t in there. Instead Sonia sat at her mother’s vanity table, watching her own pale face from beneath a lacey veil. She had woken up that morning in her own bed, alone – unlike the last few weeks. Recently Charlie had been staying with her at Hester house, waking up early to be on time to work in Romania – two hours ahead of England.

He had stayed at the Burrow last night, along with three of his brothers and Fleur. Her own brother was outside wrestling with putting up silver bells along all the trees surrounding the area where she would be married later. Hazel had been oddly vacant that morning, only appearing to wake Sonia and help her into her dress.

“Sonia?”

Looking away from her reflection, Sonia saw Hazel looking at her hesitantly in the doorway.

“You look beautiful Mamma,” she said. And Hazel did look beautiful, her hair out and tumbling down in its sunny curls. A dress the color of wild roses hung from her shoulders, and Sonia noticed her mother had hid her scars with magic. Hazel’s skin looked smooth and with no history of pain. “You hid your scars?”

She shrugged “They don’t look nice in pictures – especially wedding ones.” Sonia was silent, so Hazel walked over and rested her hands on her daughter’s shoulders, smiling at her in the mirror. “Scared?” she asked.

“A little.” Admitted Sonia, removing her veil.

Hazel began fixing Sonia’s hair, tucking the dark curls up with pins and adding white flowers to the low bun. “When you were little and got scared I used to sing to you,” she said “Remember that?”

“Yeah, that song with the mockingbird, right?” asked Sonia, smiling “I guess I should learn it, it worked for me – might come in handy.”

“For storms yes, if the babe is anything like you.” Hazel chuckled and began to sing as she continued to fix Sonia’s hair, smoothing out her dress and just doing motherly fussing

Darling don’t you be afraid

Don’t you see the starlight?

Can’t you hear the mockingbird’s cry?

Mamma’s here, so dry your eyes

I’m here to see you through

            One more night…

Sonia got up and hugged her mother tightly, and Hazel sang the second verse, knowing Sonia must think her incredibly cheesy – but it seemed a proper way to send her daughter off.

“Darling don’t you be afraid

Don’t you see the sunlight?

Can’t you hear the doves coo?