Chapter Fifty-Five | Hester Grounds, April 1998

Chapter Fifty-Five

Hester Grounds, April 1998

Sonia found Charlie by the fish pond, standing on the bridge and leaning against the railing, staring down into the shimmery water. Rainbow fish darted between colourful seaweed, pebbles as bright as jewels covering the bottom. Winston had made the pond as a birthday present to Hazel a few years ago; it was at the back of the house, and lasted throughout the winter as well.

“Hey you.” He said warmly, straightening to lean down and kiss her quickly “How’re you feeling?”

“You don’t have to ask me that every time we see each other, Charlie.” Sonia laughed “I’m pregnant, not dying.”

Cupping her face, Charlie beamed down at her and brushed her cheek with his thumb. “I only ask because I care love.”

“I know,” She said, going on her tiptoes “And I’m okay, by the way. Almost no sickness.”

“Good.” Taking her hand, they walked into the forest, down the path shadowed by cherry trees. They were in full bloom, thanks to Winston, and together they wandered beneath them to the clearing Hazel used to take the twins to for picnics.

“Oh!” Sonia gasped, seeing the blanket spread out beneath the birch trees.

“I thought we could just have lunch together,” he told her, leading them across the small clearing dappled with white boned trees towards the blanket. “A happy day, just for us.”

Beaming at him, Sonia kicked off her shoes and sat on the blanket “Sounds good to me.”

Charlie watched her very carefully, how she moved differently with the change to her centre, the glow on her face and light in her eyes. Somehow, as they delved deeper and deeper into this war Sonia was shining brighter than he had ever seen her.

“What are you staring at me for?” she asked, biting into a sandwich.

He didn’t know how, but Charlie had never thought her more beautiful than she was right now – hunched over a napkin, tomato juice dribbling down her chin.

“Just admiring you,” he said.

“Not much to admire here Weasley, just a tired looking pregnant lady covered in tomato juice.”

“I love tired looking pregnant ladies covered in tomato juice.” He said, grinning.

She laughed, and Charlie felt complete – complete knowing she still laughed at his jokes and cradled the slight swell to her abdomen and smiled. He could still remember the days when Sonia had never smiled, and he was happy to be sitting with the new Sonia now.

            The world was rosy, twilight settling over the forest. Lying back on the blanket, they watched the stars begin to peek out through the cathedral roof of leaves.

She was curled up into his side, head comfortably settled into the crook of his neck. Dark hair spilled over the blanket, looking like the night sky without any stars. Sonia was watching the stars, but Charlie was watching her – he couldn’t believe he was lucky enough to be there, holding her tightly, everyone knowing about them. No longer hiding.

“Sonia?” he said quietly, gaze soft as she turned her head to meet his eyes.

“Mh-hmm.” She sighed, splaying her fingers over his chest.

“Will you marry me?” he whispered, watching her eyes fly open with surprise.

“Sorry?”

“I said will you marry me,” he said again as she sat up on one elbow, staring at him shock.

“I love you more than I can express, more than I could possibly explain to your mother – I want to marry you for the same reason you wanted to keep our child. Not because it’s right or what people expect, but because it’s us.”

Sonia covered her mouth with her hands as she sat straight up, legs crossed – she didn’t look angry or as if she were to say no, so Charlie ploughed on.

“I wish I could do better by you for honest, and you’ve sacrificed so much for this – us – to work. You are my beautiful girl, my lady or whatever you’d like to call yourself. You allow me to work with dragons, chasing my own dreams even when having this baby means we have to put all our plans on hold. And Sonia -” he grabbed the little black box from behind him, opening it for her to see the ring nestled inside “All I want is to marry you.”

“Oh Charlie…” she breathed, glancing between him and the ring “Only as long as we never buy awful bathroom tiles.”

They laughed together as he scooped her up in his arms, kissing her long and sweet.

“I promise we never have to buy awful bathroom tiles,” he told her.

It was long after Charlie had left for the night, when morning graced the earth and the dew speckled the grass and flowers, that Sonia allowed herself to cry. She wasn’t sad, or angry – she was so happy that the tears were unavoidable.

“Thank you universe,” she whispered into her pillow, imagining Charlie giving the dragons their morning feeding “Thank you.” Looking over at the picture she had of Sirius on her bedside, a young man and handsome, she hoped Sirius was happy – happy with her little white picket fence life.

A/N: Awwwwwwwhhhh! Chonia is getting married!

Question: Where do you think the story will progress from here?

Updates will be scarce in the coming three weeks or so everyone. I've got dance night at school all this week, culminatings, exams, all of that. And then I'm off to the netherlands!

Have a lovely week,

Rose<3