Chapter Four | August 1, 1987

Chapter Four

August 1st, 1987

            The candles flickered as two breathes of air attempted to blow them out, and the few people in the room laughed as the twins frowned, trying again and again to blow the eight birthday candles out.

“Mother.” Sonia crossed her arms and glared at Hazel “Trick candles, really?”

Hazel just shrugged, watching as Andrew tried to blow out the candles again. The small part consisted of the twins, Hazel, all nine Weasley’s, Remus and Winston. Even the eldest Weasley boys had come, Bill tearing himself away from treasure hunting to come and visit Hazel, who he and Charlie both still adored.

“How is school going Charlie?” asked Hazel as he helped with the dishes later, Bill not far behind.

He shrugged “It passes, only two years left.”

Hazel sighed “You all grow up much to quickly. You know I was only fifteen when I met your Mum, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” Charlie smiled “I remember. You held me in your lap.”

“Talking about our first meeting?” asked Bill, coming into the kitchen with his face painted like a tiger (or what they assumed was supposed to be a tiger) “I remember that; how old were you?”

“Almost sixteen.” Said Hazel, giving them each a kiss on the cheek. “You were both very little and very sweet; I didn’t want to leave.”

Bill and Charlie flushed, happy to be around her again; Hazel had acted as a sort of godmother to them all their lives, and seeing her own children running around with their younger siblings made them very happy. Charlie liked coming home for the holidays and having tea with Hazel in the green house, were she would pluck a blossom from one of the many trees, drip it in a bowl of granulated sugar and then in their clear cups, so they could see the flower bloom and stain the water.

When the party was over and everyone had gone home (even Charlie, who Sonia had captured the attention of all day), Winston had retired to the green house and everything was cleaned up, Hazel sat in the kitchen with her twins, waiting for the last guest of the day to arrive.

Darkness had settled by the time a knock came at the kitchen door, and the twins flew to open it and embrace Albus Dumbledore.

“You’re late.” Sonia pouted, but was unable to hide her grin.

“Quite right, Sonia.” Dumbledore chuckled “I’m afraid I was delayed by picking up your present…” he winked as they clapped their hands. “Off you go to the living room, and I expect you to have your eyes shut tight when I’m finished saying hello to your mother.”

They ran off, leaving Hazel with Dumbledore. He smiled kindly as he always did and opened his arms, and she walked into them happily; he always smelled faintly of lemon sweets.