Chapter Thirty | The Burrow, July 31 1996

Chapter Thirty

The Burrow, July 31st 1996

            The hills were hazy with evening clouds of pink and orange, framing the hollow like a painting as the Bowen family and Remus trekked across the country side.

“Are you certain he’ll like his present, Remus?” asked Hazel worriedly, gripping the wrapped parcel tightly in her hands. “Maybe we should have gotten him that subscription to Quidditch Monthly instead -”

“He’ll like it Hazel, don’t worry.” Remus was looking gaunt and grim, his brown hair streaked liberally with grey, his clothes more ragged and patched than ever. He hadn’t been around much since June, and Hazel was worried – they had both lost their good friend, it wasn’t a good time to be alone.

Thankfully, her days of mourning were accompanied by Winston; he walked steadily beside her, silent and supportive. Night after night we would sit up with her, holding her close as she cried and soothing her worries about Sonia.

What was hazel going to do about Sonia? For the past month and a half her daughter had barely spoken to anyone, spending days in her room – the food Hazel put outside her door was merely nibbled on. Sonia used to be angry, and Hazel could deal with that – now she was just sad.

They reached the Burrow, were Molly rushed out to meet them, taking them all in a bone crushing hug.

“I’m so glad you all could make it,” she gushed, giving Sonia a more delicate hug “I haven’t told Harry, so it will be a nice surprise…”

“Here you are Molly, I brought a Girgleplought for you.” Winston handed her a rather putrid smelling plant with large seed pods and dangerous looking thorns “The best of my batch.”

Molly beamed “Oh thank you Winston – I can finally make that flu potion so it will be ready for winter.”

They entered the house, getting a round of surprised and happy greetings. Harry stood and hugged Hazel tightly, knocking his glasses askew; she was much tinier than he, and she barely made it to his chin now.

“My have you grown!” she laughed “You’re not as tall as Ron and Andrew, but you look about the same height as your Dad was at sixteen.”

Harry’s eyes brightened “Really?”

“Oh yes,” Hazel smiled kindly “You look so much like him, Harry; its like looking into the past.”

They all sat down to tea then, and the chatter quickly took a turn for the gloomier side of talk.

“There have been another couple of dementor attacks,” Remus announced, as Mrs. Weasley passed him a large slice of birthday cake. “And they’ve found Igor Karkaroff’s body in a shack up north. The Dark Mark had been set over it… well, frankly, I’m surprised he stayed alive for even a year after deserting the Death Eaters; Sirius’s brother, Regulus, only managed a few days as far as I can remember.”