Chapter Thirteen | Charleston House, December 1992

Chapter Thirteen

Charleston House, December 1992

                   A fire burned in the hearth of Charleston house, warming the toes of Joseph and Hazel. They sat very close, glasses of Muggle wine in hand and soft music playing in the background.

“Muggle wine does have some good qualities,” Hazel admitted, bringing up a long going argument “But Goblin made…it’s just magical.”

Laughing, Joseph nodded and brushed a curl back from her face “I will give you that Hazel – it is indeed magical. You know what else is better magical?”

“What?” Hazel put her wine aside.

Leaning in close, he whispered lowly in her ear “Women.”

Hazel smiled as his lips moved from her ear to her lips; Joseph had one thing going for him at least – he was a fabulous kisser. They had known each other for a little over a year, and Hazel was surprised by how complete she felt – a loving man with a kind heart and gentle nature could really change your views on life. Suddenly the world was softer, the days more pleasant and nightmares less frequent.

“You have changed my life, Hazel Bowen.” Joseph said, pulling her close.

The fur rug was soft under her, and Hazel felt warmth trickle through her that wasn’t from the fire “And you have changed mine.”

Fingers running through her curls, Joseph’s expression turned suddenly serious “Hazel, I would like to make love to you.”

The warmth was gone. Sitting up, Hazel felt a sudden tightness in her chest – Joseph knew her history. He knew about Voldemort and Severus, and yet here he was asking her to do the one thing that she had always screwed up.

“Joseph, I can’t.”

“Please Hazel,” he said, taking her hands in his. They were dry and warm, rough from chopping wood – good, gentle hands. “The only reason I ask is because I want to be close to you – it is just a step I thought you might be ready to take…”

“The last time…” taking a deep breathe, Hazel closed her eyes briefly and stared into the fire “Joseph, the last time I made love to anyone was someone who I loved very much, but was not loved back; we conceived the twins.”

Joseph smiled “Would it be so bad to make love to someone who loves you more than life, and wouldn’t mind conceiving a child? If not tonight, another?”

Slowly, the ice in Hazel seemed to thaw. She loved this man, truly loved him – of course there was a part of her that would always belong to Severus, but if she ever wanted to have a life with Joseph this was a necessary step. One that wasn’t bad at all, barely scary. Joseph would take care of her.

“Joseph, I would very much enjoy that.”

Chuckling, he leaned in and kissed her cheek “You are something fascinating, Hazel Bowen.”

“And you are exactly what I always wanted.” It was not a lie, not really – Hazel had always wanted simplicity, safety. Joseph was safe, and now Hazel felt that way too.

A/N: Hm. I'm not sure if I liked this or not, but oh well. YES it is short, and YES I know this, but I didn't want this scene to be long. If it's by itself then you really notice it and the signifigance for Hazel.

Question: What do you think of Hazel agreeing to this? Do you think she really wants to make love to Joseph, or just doesn't want to lose him?

 I'm updating more frequently the more homework I have. Good for you, terrible for me. Oh well!

Rose<3

P.S Comments make me happy. Make my day over and over. Who knows, you could get a dedication... *hint hint, nudge nudge*