Chapter Thirty-Eight | The Burrow, New Years 1996

The Burrow, New Years 1996

            The New Year was fast approaching, and the Burrow was a flurry of activity. Mrs. Weasley had a collection of Muggle Christmas carols blasting from the kitchen, and with Hazel at her side she cooked up a large batch of eggnog.

“Andrew dear,” she said, grabbing his elbow as he moved to follow the twins into the living room for a game of exploding snap “Would you go to the basement for those bottles of champagne? Only three hours until midnight! May as well start a little early…” she spotted Harry and called over “Harry you help – there’s a couple bottles in the room at the back.”

“Sure Mrs. Weasley.” Harry said, and he smiled over at Andrew. They had owled a few times a year since Andrew first asked to be friends, and they got along well.

“Bring a couple bottles each. Oh - watch out for glow worms,” Mr. Weasley warned “They get a little frisky around this time of night.”

“Arthur!”

“Sorry dear.”

Andrew chuckled and led Harry into the basement. “Lumos.” He said, and went looking for the light.

“How’s Sonia doing?” Harry asked hesitantly “We haven’t really spoken since…well, you know. We didn’t exactly leave on good terms.”

“You can’t blame Sonia,” he said “She is difficult to understand. I barely know her, and I know her better than anyone.”

“Should I blame myself then?”

Shaking his head, Andrew poked it into a few crates “Course not. You two are similar; you clash – like my mother and her. They haven’t gotten along in a while.”

“Why?” sitting on a crate, Harry peeked in another; it was full of old stuffed animals.

“My mother wants to keep us safe, away from all the things she grew up with. Sonia is a free spirit, not easily caged you could say. Our life doesn’t suit her.” He grinned over at Harry “She envies you.”

“Me? She envies me?” asked Harry incredulously.

“Sure. You get to go to Hogwarts; no one is holding you back or controlling your life. That’s what she thinks anyway.”

“Its not true,” he sighed “I don’t have much control. I thought maybe I did, but I was wrong.”

“It’s quite the opposite for me,” Andrew said thoughtfully “I always thought my life wouldn’t amount to much, and now…now I realize I can do whatever I want. I can shape my life and do what I wish with it.”

Looking over at his god brother of sorts, Harry was surprised to see the happiness on his face. “What happened?”