Chapter Fifty | Hester House, December 1997

Dedicated to my dear dear friend Rhi, all the way in England. Thank you for my lovely early birthday present <3

Chapter Fifty

Hester House, December 1997

            It was early morning when Sonia snuck back into Hester house through the back door, slipping into the kitchen, still dark in the dawn.

“So, who is he?”

“Ah!” spinning around, Sonia clutched her chest as she stared wide eyed at her mother, sitting calmly at the kitchen table. “Mamma, you scared me.”

“That was sort of the idea darling.” She said, amused “Who is he Sonia?”

“I – I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She stuttered, slowly taking off her cloak and hanging it up by the door.

Hazel rolled her eyes “I was young once too, you know. I’ve known for months that you’ve been seeing someone, and as your mother I’d like to know.”

“You won’t approve.”

“I don’t think I’m supposed to,” she said gently “Mothers aren’t supposed to of boyfriends, are they?”

Giving her a small smile, Sonia sat down “Okay, but I’m saying this now – I’m not going to stop seeing him.”

“I never thought you would.” Hazel chuckled “Not even for a second, no matter what I say.”

Taking a deep breath, Sonia closed her eyes briefly, preparing for the fight she anticipated “It’s Charlie.”

Hazel leaned back in her chair and smiled happily “I thought so.”

What?

“You weren’t being very subtle at the wedding honey,” explained Hazel “And I’m not blind, no matter what you think. I can see a budding romance when it’s right in front of me.”

Blushing, Sonia stared at the table top “You didn’t say anything.”

“It wasn’t my place, besides -” she reached across the table and took her daughters hand, smiling softly “I wanted you to tell me.”

“Do you…well, do you mind? He’s…” Sonia sighed “He’s a lot older than me.”

Hazel shrugged “Age doesn’t mean much in the end. Also, I don’t think you’d like most boys your age anyway – and I don’t think they could handle you either.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Just that you’re very mature,” she explained “And I think you and Charlie suit each other very well.”

“Did…did you and Dad suit each other?” Sonia asked hesitantly, hoping her mother would for once open up.

Hazel stilled, her hands squeezing Sonia’s almost painfully “I…I honestly don’t know anymore Sunny. I think once, maybe…but now…no, not anymore.”

Form almost falling into itself, Sonia nodded. “Thank you Mamma.” She whispered, getting up and kissing Hazel’s cheek before going up the back staircase.

Sitting alone at the kitchen table, Hazel felt suddenly very empty. This had been the most intimate moment with her daughter since she was ten years old, almost over eight years ago – and yet Severus had managed to ruin it.

“Well, imagine that.” Severus sat in the seat Sonia had occupied moments before “Our daughter shagging a Weasley.”

“I hate you.” Hazel whispered to the dawn light filling the empty kitchen, knowing the man across from her wasn’t real. Over the years Severus had begun to look more and more real, his features turning bitter, hair greasy. His soft white button down and black slacks had been replaced with the billowy, bat like robes – the softness to his face gone.

“Don’t say that Elle,” he said “I know you love me.”

“Same thing.” She spat “I may love you, but I love my children more.”

Our children.” He corrected smugly “And one of them is letting a Weasley take advantage of her.”

“Charlie is a very nice young man,” Hazel said firmly “He’ll treat Sonia well.”

Severus smirked at her “Right, that’s hat you think.”

Hazel shut her eyes tightly. “Go away.” She hissed. “Go.”

“Mamma?”

Eyes flying open, Hazel stared at her son as he looked at her through sleepy, bleary eyes. “Oh. Good morning Andy.”

“Who are you talking to Mamma?” he asked, rubbing his eyes drowsily.

“No one honey,” she said, glancing at Severus, who was smiling slyly at her “No one at all.”

A/N: Oohhh! What a turn of events! 

Question: Was that how you expected Hazel to react? 

Rose<3

P.S It's my birthday on Wednesday :3