Chapter Seven | September 1, 1991

Chapter Seven

September 1st, 1991

            The leaves rustled on the trees hanging over the path as Hazel and Remus led the twins up towards the castle, her long cloak billowing slightly behind her. Sonia, though still angry with Hazel, thought her mother looked especially beautiful that night in the moonlight, her old fashioned robes hugging her slim form.

“Doesn’t Mum look nice?” Andrew whispered to her as they fell behind slightly “I wonder why.”

“She looks okay.” Said Sonia, reluctant to pay Hazel a compliment. “Maybe it’s for Uncle Remus?”

Andrew smirked “Nah, she doesn’t do anything like that for him. He may be in love with her, but she doesn’t try at all.”

“Who said Uncle Remus was in love with Mum?!” exclaimed Sonia.

“It’s obvious.” He said “Haven’t you noticed how he looks at her?”

Shaking her head, Sonia wondered how long her uncle had loved her mother. It wasn’t weird, since Remus Lupin wasn’t really their Uncle, but still…he was Andrew’s Godfather, and that still counted as family.

“Do you think Mum knows?”

“Probably. Mum knows everything.” Andrew quickened his pace, and Sonia matched it; they were drawing nearer to the castle now, and though they’d been there many times before, it truly felt like the first time. Knowing that tonight one of their oldest questions would be answered gave them a sort of high, and both twins had been especially careful with their words and actions that day.

Entering the castle was odd, as usually they came during the day in the summer, when no students or teachers were around except for Dumbledore. Walking through the castle was almost spooky, as Hazel’s heels clicking echoed hauntingly; they took the grand stair cases and several secret passages before reaching the gargoyle guarding the Headmasters office.

“Treacle tart.” Said Hazel, and the stone monster jumped aside, granting them entry.

“Excited?” asked Remus as they stepped onto the moving spiral staircase.

The twins nodded and spoke together “Very.”

Hazel laughed “I remember my sorting, do you Remus?”

He nodded “I do; I didn’t know you were sorted though, Hazel.”

“Well, not exactly. The sorting hat was indecisive.”

The twins shared a scared look “Can that happen?” asked Andrew.

“I was the only case in the history of Hogwarts,” said Hazel “I don’t think you have much to worry about.”

Entering the headmasters office, the twins ran across the room to hug the man they considered their grandfather “Grandpa!” they cried, launching themselves at him.