Chapter Fifty-One | Romania Dragon Reservation, March 1998

Chapter Fifty-One

Romania Dragon Reservation, March 1998

            Tall pines swayed in the cool breeze, shading Charlie’s small stone cottage. Smoke drifted from the chimney, melding with the grey sky.

Sonia stood on the path, cloak shifting in the wind; she clutched the folds closed, dark eyes watching Charlie move within. Never in her life had she been so scared.

Inside Charlie stopped to look out the window, spotting Sonia. Opening the front door he stepped onto the porch, waving “Come inside love,” he called “It’s too cold to be standing outside.”

Shaking her head, Sonia didn’t move.

Charlie frowned and walked down the steps towards her “Sonia? Is everything okay?”

Lip trembling, Sonia shook her head again before starting to sob – but she didn’t cry.

Hugging her tightly, Charlie looked down at her, bewildered “Come inside.” He whispered, leading her up the steps and into the living room. He sat her down on the couch and fluttered his hands over her, not knowing what to do; neither of them were particularly ‘touchy-feely’ kind of people, didn’t like crying. “I’ll be right back.” He promised, dashing into the kitchen.

In the kitchen Charlie made two cups of tea, adding sugar and holding the warm cups, praying that he could handle this fragile version of Sonia. She hadn’t been like this since Sirius had died, she’d been so healthy – and suddenly she was reverted back to that state.

Sitting beside her, Charlie put the tea on the coffee table and took her hands “Sonia, please tell me what’s bothering you.”

“It’s not going to work.” She said “None of it is real, we-we’ll fail and the Dark Lord will win -”

“Sonia – Sonia please listen to me.” He begged, cupping her face in his hands “I promise this is real, it’s okay.”

“I love how delusional you are.” She laughed wearily, smiling sadly at him.

“You were delusional once too,” he said desperately “What’s changed?”

She glanced down at her hands, then back up at him “I’m pregnant.” Whispered Sonia, watching his face timidly.

Charlie stared at her, mind racing. This was not what he had been expecting, the very last thing really – his heart sank as the situation dawned on him. This was the exact opposite of what Sonia wanted in her life; he’d known for a long time she didn’t want kids, since they were kids.

“Are you – really?”

She nodded tiredly “I’m fairly positive. But I brought this -” she pulled out a Muggle pregnancy test and put it on the coffee table between their cooling teas. “Just to be sure.”