Chapter Fourteen | The Shrieking Shack, August 1993

Chapter Fourteen

The Shrieking Shack, August 1993

                            The lights in the Hester House library were dim, and within Sonia’s mother paced. Though mad at her, Sonia had to admit Hazel was beautiful; her sunshine curls had been braided loosely, and a long wrap around dress hugged her still slim form tightly. Though it was summer, a light shawl was draped over her shoulders – she didn’t like to have Joseph see the scars there.

“Stop worrying Hazel, I’m sure Sonia’s Godfather is fine.” Said Joseph “What’s his name again, Samuel?”

“Sirius.” Corrected Hazel.

From her hiding spot on the second floor, Sonia could spy through one of the many windows looking down into the circular library. Her mother looked worried, her pale hands twisting the lace edges of her shawl.

Joseph put his wine aside and stood up from the couch, walking over to Hazel “Why do you think anything is wrong?”

Glancing at over at the doorway, Hazel sighed “He didn’t owl this Sunday. He’s never missed a Sunday, Sonia counts on it…he wouldn’t let her down.”

“Maybe he’s busy?”

Hazel shot Joseph a look “You don’t get busy in Azkaban, Joseph.”

Pressing a kiss to Hazel’s cheek, Joseph slid his hands up and down her arms “I’m sure he’s fine. Now come my love, let’s go to bed – a good night’s sleep would do you good. Maybe a letter will come tomorrow.”

Sighing again, Hazel nodded “I…you’re right.”

Watching them leave, Sonia breathed a sigh of relief – if Hazel became any more worried she’d have gone to Azkaban. Maybe this was one thing Joseph was actually good for.

Thinking of her mother’s boyfriend, Sonia grabbed her cloak. Joseph was a good man, she knew this; he loved her mother and was kind, would never hurt her. Sometimes Sonia wondered if Hazel actually loved him back, whether the times she looked longingly at the photos of her childhood were moments she wished for Sonia’s father back.

Sneaking out of the house was easy, and Sonia had to only walk a mile or so down the drive to leave the disapparation boundaries. Once there, she Disapparated; it had never been her favourite way to travel, but it worked in a pinch.

Opening her eyes, Sonia looked up to see the towers of Hogwarts peeking over the trees. Pulling up her hood, she advanced through the trees, heart beating wildly; nearing the Whomping Willow, she poked the knot in the trunk, paralyzing it and ducked beneath its roots into the passage. The closer she got to the shrieking shack, the more excited and nervous she felt – what if he didn’t show up?

Coming out of the passage, Sonia found herself in the shrieking shack. The walls were dusty and the furniture moth bitten; she felt a sneeze coming as she peeked into what might’ve been a living room. A chair with only three legs was propped up on a stack of old textbooks and the glass panes of the china cabinet were smashed.