Chapter Ten | Charleston House, November 1991

Chapter Ten

Charleston House, November 1991

                            Dressing up was something Hazel used to hate. As a child she had as many pretty dresses and ribbons and jewels a little girl could want; but they were not for her enjoyment, oh no. The nights when the house elves teased and pinned her curls and helped her with the long sashes were not parties that anyone would prefer to attend. They were the meetings of Death Eaters, and were a normal party had snacks and balloons; all these meetings had were torture and pain.

Hazel felt odd as she applied a swipe of lipstick and put on her earrings; she wasn’t wearing satin or velvet, heavy jewels or ribbons, but preparing herself for others gave her the chills. Of course Joseph wouldn’t drag her to a spare bedroom and abuse her such as Voldemort had, but Hazel was still wary of the night. But excitement bloomed in her, and Hazel stood feeling better – Joseph was a nice man.

The doorbell rang then, and Hazel felt her heart speed up; if you thought about it, this was her first date. Remus had been her first kiss, really Voldemort had taken her virginity, and Sirius was the first person she rejected. Severus had been the first time she made love.

Descending the stair case, Hazel saw Joseph standing in the entryway, hands in the pockets of his tweed coat, salt and pepper hair brushed back in waves. He was tall, taller than Winston or Severus or even Sirius. Hazel suddenly felt very nervous.

“Hello, Joseph.” She said, walking slowly down the stairs and towards him. Joseph’s pebble eyes smiled down at her, and a large calloused hand landed gently on her shoulder.

“Evening Hazel – are you ready to go?” his voice was smooth, kind; no fear radiated within Hazel as she nodded and reached for her Muggle coat. Butterflies erupted in her stomach, fluttering violently as she waved briefly at the twins and Winston before following Joseph out onto the porch.

Cold air stung Hazel’s nose, and she wished desperately for snow – Christmas was so close, and soon she could embrace the festivities and have a decent reason to feel happy and warm and content.

“What are you thinking of?” asked Joseph, offering her his arm; the sun was nearly hidden behind the hills now, and in the dusk he looked mythical.

“Christmas.” She told him, sighing lightly “It’s my favourite holiday.”

Joseph smiled as they rounded the bend “What a coincidence, it’s also my favourite!”

Hazel’s reply caught in her throat as she saw the large object Joseph moved towards – it was a Muggle automobile. Somehow Hazel had just assumed Joseph was a wizard, and she felt so very stupid – Mo would have beaten her for such a mistake.

The thought of Mo made Hazel’s heart ache – it had been nearly twelve years since she’d left Bowen Manor, yet she still closed her eyes and waited for a slap when saying something out of turn.

“Hazel?” Joseph was looking at her worriedly “Are you okay?”