Chapter Fifty-Eight | Hester Grounds, April 31 1998

Chapter Fifty-Eight

Hester Grounds, April 31st 1998

                        Hazel’s quill shook as she wrote the final words of a letter that had been long awaited. A pile of envelopes sat close by, a long blue ribbon similar to the one she had worn in her hair all those years ago waiting to tie them together.

The ink bled as a tear fell onto the parchment, but Hazel continued. Signing the bottom, she sealed the last envelope and tied the letters together, placing them in a wooden box. Mother of pearl spelled out a constellation of milky stars, and Hazel traced them lightly before putting the box away in her desk.

“Mamma?” Sonia peaked her head into her mothers room, seeing her wipe tears from her eyes. “Mamma, what’s wrong?”

Smiling at her daughter, Hazel tried to laugh “Oh nothing honey, I was just thinking.”

“About what?” Sonia walked over to her mother, to the spot where her own cradle had once rocked.

“Just that almost eighteen years ago you two were tiny and wrinkled and born right in this room.” Standing, she gave Sonia a quick hug and took a deep breath. “Now, are you and Charlie ready?”

“For what? I thought we were just having tea.” Sonia followed her mother out of the room.

“I just have something to show you two,” Hazel told her “Before everything gets so hectic tomorrow.”

At the mention of the coming day Sonia felt her stomach flutter in excitement – or that could be her child, she couldn’t tell. At only sixteen weeks she was barley showing, and the healer (recommended by Molly, of course) had said the baby was rather small – but still healthy. For the past week she’d felt the tiniest of flutters, and Hazel had said it was possible, but still early to really feel anything.

Charlie was waiting for them on the front porch, watching the rain fall lightly on the garden. “Hey you,” he said to Sonia “Ready to eat?”

“Not yet Charles,” Hazel chuckled, handing them an umbrella.

“Mamma has something to show us.” Sonia told him, and they followed Hazel round the back if the house and past the greenhouse, down a path Sonia was not familiar with. The trees were leafy and green, mostly protecting them from the light rain. All of a sudden they reached a small clearing, and Sonia was surprised to see a little house nestled in between the forest walls. It had three stories but still seemed small, ivy growing over its walls and windows peeking through it like shy eyes.

“What do you think?” Hazel asked, looking between them and the house.

“It’s lovely Mamma, but why -”

“It’s yours.” She told them, watching as Sonia’s jaw dropped and Charlie stared at her disbelief.

“Seriously?” he asked “Hazel, we can’t just take this house, it’s too much and –”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” She said firmly “I’m not letting you raise my grandchild on a dragon reserve where neither of its grandmothers are around.”

Sonia laughed and hugged her mother tightly, then tugged Charlie towards the house. “Are you coming Mamma?” she called back, seeing Hazel staying behind.

“No dear, you go explore together. See if you can find my little surprises.”

Watching her daughter step so happily into the next chapter of her life, Hazel felt a little bit better about letting her go.

A/N: A little sweet chapter for you. Hazel couldn't let her grandkid be raised on a dragon reserve, now could she?

Check out the video!

Rose<3