Chapter 94

"Can't you just leave me the hell alone?" I complained. "Like what do you want me from? I don't have any money to give you and don't even try asking my dad."

"I don't want money. I just want a relationship with you, Cassidee." My mom sighed.

"If you wanted a relationship you should've thought about me and my needs before shoving piles of cocaine up your nose!"

"I regret doing all that stuff when you were around, I'm in a better place now and I can imagine how terrible you must've felt when I wasn't there for you."

"Oh, I don't think you can! Don't even sit there and say you can imagine the shit I went through living with you and that scumbag William! Let me ask you some questions and see if you can answer them, okay? Can you imagine waking up in the morning, wanting to eat breakfast but your mother is so doped up she can't do it, so you get your freaking food? Then because your little four-year-old arms can't reach high things you end up making a mess in the kitchen and get tossed around like a rag doll by her boyfriend? Don't even pull that crap with me!"

People nearby were beginning to look over at our table and I got up, walking out the door before I got even louder with her. I walked around to the side of the building and leaned against it, throwing my head back and closed my eyes.

"This isn't happening."

"Cassidee?"

"JUST GO AWAY!"

"Calm down and lower your voice." My mom said, coming closer.

"Don't touch me! I asked you to go away, so please just do that before the cops are called on you again!"

My mom sighed and stood there, looking at me. "I understand you're upset, I do. Wou-would you please just take a walk with me? I want to show you something?"

"Like what, the backseat of your car? Are we going on another day trip?"

"Come on." She said, waving me over to her.

I sighed and began walking down the sidewalk with my mother. We didn't say a single word to each other and all that was heard was the traffic around us. Moments later we walked into a neighborhood that looked vaguely familiar to me and we approached a white house with black awnings and shutters.

"Can I ask where are we?"

"You don't remember this place do you?" My mom asked as we stepped onto the porch. She unlocked the door and we walked into a darkened hallway. I looked around at my surroundings and I know for sure I don't have any memory of this house.

"No?"

"This is your great grandmother's house. She died almost four years ago and it was stated in her will that she give this house to me so I could raise you. Well, when the drug abuse started, she and the family sent me to rehabs and even the mental ward, I was messed up back then and I'm apologizing."

I walked further into the house and came into the living room and tried flipping one of the light switches, but no light came on. I looked over at my mom and raised my eyebrows at her.

"I'm going to have this place fixed up and the wiring needs replaced."

"How are you going to afford to pay for a house? You don't have a job, do you?"

"Housekeeping at the hotel downtown." She smiled.

"Seriously why after all these years, you come back into my life? I'm living in peace with my family and that's how I want it to stay."

My mom walked into the room and sat down on the floor, crossing her legs. She offered the spot across from her and sat down, copying her posture.

"I didn't want to send you away, but I knew I had to. My mother would not help me raise a baby out of wedlock, she told me to live with my sister. Years go by and my addiction started, my sister told my mother about it and they wanted to put me in a rehab program, but I refused because if I went then where would you be? Probably off in a foster home, not even in Pennsylvania! I fled from my family and drug dealers and ended up in Chicago, where your dad's band was. I called back home and said if I leave Cassidee with her father, then I'll do the rehab. They were fine with that and then I got hospitalized because I was having mental breakdowns."

"Do you know how terrified I was that night? You left me at a hotel doorstep with a post-it note stuck to my shirt and barely any clothes! Not even a goodbye hug or I love you! You just left me there, confused as ever, and had dad confused as well! Then my very first day of Kindergarten was ruined because you came to the school and tried taking me away from my father!"

"I told you Cassidee, I was very sick back then and I'm trying to make amends with my past! I'm very sorry for not being there for you, I'm very sorry for letting William hurt you all those times and I'm very sorry for failing you as your birth mother!" She yelled the last part, putting her hands over her face, sobbing uncontrollably.

I kind of understood where she was coming from. She was pregnant at a young age and a single mother with no type of help from her family at all. My mom was probably shunned and felt like a failure of a daughter for doing all the wrong choices. I know if I had gotten pregnant, there was no way I could live with that guilt of letting my parents down, no way.

I scooted closer to her, hesitating for a moment before wrapping my arms around her and hugging her. My mom put her arms around me, burying her face into my shoulder, gripping onto my body very tightly.

"It's okay, Mom," I whispered, lightly patting her back.

I know it wasn't going to sound or look right, but for some reason, it felt like my birth mom and I were meant to cross paths. She needs someone and maybe that person needs to be me.

Her daughter.

Ooh, what do you guys think of Cassidee coming in contact with her birth mother? Let me know in the comments