Chapter 24

Chris's POV

I haven't heard from Cassidee in a few days since Sabrina offered her a girls' day out. Usually, she'll call me just to check-in. I picked up my phone and dialed her number, waiting for her to pick it up.

"Hello?" She croaked into the phone.

"Cassidee? Sweetie, you sound awful! Are you ok?"

"Um, yeah, I'm just not feeling well today."

"Do you want us to come over, bring you anything? Where's Ian?"

"Went to work with his dad and no you don't have to. I'm fine, Dad."

"Are you sure you're ok? Because you don't sound fine at all, Cass."

"Dad, please."

"Alright, oh I almost forgot your brother has a hockey game this Friday and he's asking for you to watch him play."

"We'll see. Dad, can I talk to you later? I just want to lie down right now."

"Yeah, sure. But call if you need anything and you know you can always come back home."

"Yeah."

"Okay, talk to you later."

We disconnected from each other and I sighed, looking around my living room. Something's wrong. Something is wrong.

"Was that Cassidee?" Sabrina asked, walking downstairs with a laundry basket of clothes.

"Yeah, she didn't sound right."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, she sounded terrible. Her voice was hoarse and she sounded tired, that wasn't my daughter on the phone."

"Maybe she's sick?"

"That's what she told me and I don't believe it."

"I'm thinking she's homesick, Chris. I didn't like the idea of Cassidee moving in with Ian one bit, but she begged you and I knew it's what she wanted and now she's regretting it."

"I don't know. I think I'm going to drive over there and check on her." I said, getting up and grabbing the car keys.

"But you have no idea where they live at?"

"Yes, I do. I drive by that townhouse complex all the time when I go to Ricky's."

"Alright, but don't upset her."

I walked outside to the car, started it, and strapped on my seatbelt. I pulled out of the driveway and headed over to Ian's.

Forty minutes later I pulled up to the townhouse complex and took one of the parking spaces. I got out of the car and started walking down the small pathway.

Along the way, a younger man was walking my way. Maybe he knows Ian or which house he lives in.

"Excuse me? But do you happen to know anyone in this complex named Ian?"

"Yeah, keep going straight. His door is on the right with the number 17 on it."

"Thank you."

I continued down the pathway until I reached the front door. I knocked three times and waited for it to open.

No answer.

I took out my phone and dialed Cassidee's number. It rang about two times until she answered.

"Hello?"

"I'm outside the house."

"WHAT?!"

She hung up on me as I heard footsteps bounding down the stairs. The door flew open and there stood Cassidee.