Chapter 108

"Cassidee, I saved you some dinner, it's in the microwave in case you change your mind." I heard Sabrina say on the other side of my door.

It's been three days since my mom had died and I was in no joyful mood to eat, sleep or go to school. For three days I've been hiding in my room, only coming out to use the bathroom when I needed it and then returning to my bedroom. I don't want to be bothered by anyone, I don't want people to feel bad or sorry for me.

Sabrina and my dad have made countless attempts to get me to come out and eat or just come out in general, but I want nothing to do with the world outside my bedroom door. I'm perfectly fine where I'm at.

My mom's funeral is tomorrow and the day after that she's being buried. The hospital ruled her death out as an "accidental" overdose, but I know it was an intentional overdose. My mom wanted to kill herself after the shit I pulled at her house that night and my dad jumping down her throat didn't help much either.

I blame myself for my mom dying.

"Cassidee, I don't care how much you scream at me, but I'm coming in your room." My dad said opening the door.

I just laid there, my back facing him as I felt his extra weight be added to my bed. He rested his hand on my shoulder and I could tell he was hanging his head as he let out a heavy sigh.

"You need to come out of your room, Cass. I know you don't want to say much right now, but would you at least come downstairs for me and eat something?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because I just want to be alone, I don't want you or Mom or Mason to feel sorry for me and make things weird. I already know Sabrina has mixed feelings about all of this because I was over there and because that was your ex-girlfriend and my mother!"

"Sabrina is not mad."

"Well, she sure as hell wasn't happy the night we came back from the hospital."

"She's just worried about you and how you're taking this, just like me and everybody else who cares about you. Will you just come downstairs? You don't have to eat if don't feel like it."

I got fed up with my dad's pleas and got up from my bed and went downstairs to go and sit on the living room couch. Sabrina and Mason just looked at me and then focused their attention back on the TV. My dad came down a few seconds later and sat beside me giving me a small smile.

My head was throbbing and every little sound nearby annoyed the hell out of me. I brought my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on them, staring blankly at the TV. All I wanted to do was lie in my bed in total darkness, but my dad wasn't putting up with that anymore.

All of a sudden tears just started pouring down my face and buried my face into my knees sobbing very loudly. I was pulled into my dad's chest as he stroked my hair and rocked me back and forth.

"We'll give you some privacy, come on." I heard Sabrina say.

"It's okay, it's okay." My dad whispered as he kissed me on top of the head.

"I-I-I just-just wan-want to fucking die!" I cried.

"No! I won't let you and your mother wouldn't want that. You have too many good things to look forward to and let's not forget you have a birthday coming up your eighteenth birthday. I know you may think it's the end of the world, but believe me, it's not."

"For once in my life, all I would like is one day where something doesn't get all fucked up! I-Ian beats me to a pulp, Braxton, and Milo act like assholes ninety percent of the time, kids at school hate me, and then my mom dies! I can take it no more! I'm tired of always getting the shit end of the stick."

My dad hugged me closer to him and rested his chin on top of my head. I've known nothing but misery since I was a little kid.

"Well, that's all going to change real soon."