Chapter 18

"Uhm, well, uh-" I stumbled over my words before Ian cut me off.

"I think Cassidee should move in with me, just for the summer," Ian explained.

"I'm not so sure about this? I don't think you two should live together just yet." My dad argued.

"Dad, it'll give me some experience of what it's like to live on my own. Plus, gram won't have to watch me while you do band stuff."

"I don't know, okay? I don't feel right about letting you move out and into Ian's. No offense, Ian."

"None taken." Ian slightly smiled.

"I can't live here forever."

"No, not forever, but for now you do."

I looked over at Ian and sighed, looking at the blood-soaked rag now in his hand. Ian was gently clenching and unclenching it with his fist.

Every time he squeezed the rag, blood would stain his palm.

"Can we just talk about it later, please?" I begged.

"Yes. I'm going back to check on Braxton." My dad turned around and walked back down the hall.

"It's just for the summer! Why is he making a big deal out of it?" Ian complained.

"Only teenage daughter moving into the house with boyfriend, who is starting college this fall. I thought you wanted me to stay for a little bit in the fall too?"

"Well, I am going to be in classes at different hours and I wouldn't want you to be alone at night if I have night classes."

"True. But I don't-"

"Just ask him again tonight. Not with your stepmom and little brother around, or that lunatic Braxton."

"He's not a lunatic." I rolled my eyes.

"Tell that to my nose. Just talk to him and let me know, okay?" Ian smiled.

"Okay, but it won't be easy."

"If he does let you move in, you won't have to deal with your brother."

"My dream come true." I laughed.

***************************

Later that night after dinner, I walked downstairs to find my dad in the living room, playing guitar.

He wasn't playing any song in particular, just strumming a few notes with his fingers.

"Dad?" I interrupted.

"Hey, what's up?" He smiled, putting his guitar aside.

"Can we talk like I asked earlier? I didn't want to bring it up at dinner with Mason and Mom there. I feel like this should be between me and you."

"Go ahead. I'm listening."

"I want to move in with Ian and it'll only be for the summer and I'll come over here as much as you want me to. Please let me do this?"

"Cass, come here." He patted the spot next to him.

I walked over, sitting next to him, and looked down at my feet. My dad put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his side.

"Cassidee, I'm not ready to let you go. You're still sixteen and my daughter, my only daughter."

"Dad, I want to do this."

"Why? Give me one good reason."

"I'll give you two. I want to feel what it's like to live on my own and I'll get away from Mason."

"Can't you wait until it's your turn to attend college?"

"Please? I swear once Ian starts classes and I go back to school, I will be under this roof again."

"You want this, huh?"

"Yes."

"Okay, you can go, but only for the summer, and don't go causing havoc out there."

I stood up and hugged my dad as tight as I could. "Thank you! Thank you!" I smiled.

"Yes, you're welcome! Now please I need oxygen!" He joked.

I ran upstairs to my room and grabbed my phone, texting Ian.

C: Babe!

I: Yes?

C: Guess who's moving in?! :D

I: NO! He's letting you? :D :D

C: Yes!! I'm going to pack now!

I: Quickly! Lol

C: I'm so excited! I'M MOVING IN WITH YOU!!!

I: I can't wait :)))

I squealed and ran over to my closet, throwing random shirts across the room.

"I can't wait either!" I smiled.