Chapter 41

"How could I've been so stupid and not know." I sighed, staring down at Cassidee. "I'm your father for Christ's sake, I should know when you're in trouble."

Sabrina and I stayed overnight at the hospital and day two of Cassidee being in this place were already underway.

"Sweetie, why don't you take a break? I'll sit with her and call you if anything happens." Sabrina said, walking in.

"No. I'm not leaving her side, I'm never going to leave Cassidee's side ever again." I said, shaking my head.

"Chris, everyone's outside the unit waiting for you to give them some news on her. Maybe one of the guys can take a walk with you while you blow off steam. I told you anything happens, I'll let you know."

I got up from my chair, not saying a word, and walked out of the unit, coming face to face with my band members, their girlfriends, the twins, and Aubrey out in the hallway.

Balz was the first to come up and gave me a tight hug, patting me on the back.

"Any word on her?" Ricky asked.

"Cassidee might be permanently blind in her right eye, she may also be paralyzed, due to some minor fractures in her back. Her hip bone was dislocated, there's a lot of swelling in her brain and she had been sliced across the stomach."

"Oh my God." Ryan Ashley sighed letting a tear slip down her cheek.

"Did they ever find that bastard?" Ghost asked.

"Yep and he better pray I never see him."

I looked down and saw Braxton sitting on the floor, knees to chest and occasionally wiping his cheeks.

"Braxton," I said, kneeling to him. "Let's go take a walk, okay?"

He nodded his head, getting up on his feet and I placed my hand on his shoulder as we walked away from the group.

"I'm worried about her." Braxton sniffled, sighing shortly after.

"We're all in the same boat with you. But, I have to ask because you and Cassidee are thick as thieves and been that way a long time." I stopped and faced Braxton as he stared at the floor. "Braxton, did Cassidee tell you about the abuse that went on?"

"I-I knew Ian was going to hurt her from the first day I found out he slapped her. At her birthday party, I was so close to telling you, but Ian called her and she ran out the door. Whatever he did it was like, she was under his control you know? I begged her to let me tell, but she called it a betrayal and I did not want to lose her, I did not want to lose Cassidee. I didn't want to lose her as my friend." Braxton broke down sobbing.

I pulled him into a tight embrace and felt his tears soak my shirt. I patted him on the back and pulled him back.

"Don't do what I'm doing and blame yourself for this. I can understand how you didn't want to make her mad or seem like you were going behind her back, but you should've said something. Did Aubrey know about this?"

"Not until now. I was the only one she told about this. Could I go back and see her?"

"I don't want this to upset you anymore than it has. She doesn't even look like herself."

"I don't care. I just need to see her."

We walked back to the group and I pressed the buzzer to get back into the unit.

"Braxton, are you sure you want to go in there?" Ricky asked.

"I'm certain." He responded just as the door clicked open.

We walked in and I guided him to Cassidee's bed and I heard the air be taken from Braxton's lungs.

"Cassidee, you have a special visitor," I whispered in her ear.

"Could I have a moment with her by myself? I swear I won't take long." Braxton asked.

"Take as long as you need. Sabrina?"

Sabrina and I walked away so that Braxton could have his privacy with Cassidee. We stepped out into the hallway and I let out a huge sigh, leaning against the wall.

"He's probably having a mental breakdown in there," Ricky said.

"Can you blame him? His best friend is laying in a coma and he doesn't know what to do. Shit, I'm her father and I still can't wrap my head around this!" I flipped out. "I'm sorry."

"For what? Chris, you're frustrated and stressed out about all this, it's understandable."

"You raised your boys to be kind and respectful, you know that? Braxton and Milo have been such good friends to Cassidee over the years and I wanted to thank you for raising them for being the best of friends to my daughter."

"Thanks." Ricky smiled.

**********************
Braxton's POV

"Why didn't I say anything sooner?" I said, staring at Cassidee. "I'm such an idiot."

My best friend, the most beautiful girl in the universe was laying here comatose and it's all my fault. I don't care what Chris said to me in the hallway, I should've told them about this shit on her birthday and I didn't.

"You're so stupid, Braxton," I whispered, letting tears fall off my face.

I pulled my chair closer to Cassidee's bed and rested my chin on the bed rail, carefully putting her hand in mine and intertwined our fingers.

"Don't leave us, Cassie. Don't leave me." I stared at her, crying. "Cassidee, I know you probably can't hear me, but I love you. Cassidee Anne Cerulli, I love you too much it fucking hurts."

"Ahem."

My head shot up and I saw mine and Cassidee's dad standing there. Why do I feel like Chris is going to hate me for this?

"Uh, I'll be leaving now." I scurried away from Cassidee's bedside quickly as possible and bolted out the door.

"What's your problem, dude?" Milo asked, eyeing me weirdly.

"Oh shit! Shit! Shit!" I freaked, pacing back and forth.

"Hey, Tweedledumbass! Explain."

"They heard me! I know they heard me! Chris probably wants to kill me and Dad thinks I'm an idiot."

"I could've told you that. But seriously though, what happened in there?"

I stopped dead in my tracks and ran my fingers through my hair, taking deep breaths.

"I told Cassidee I loved her, even though she can't hear me. Both our dads walked in just as I was finishing talking and they heard me, Milo!"

"Braxton?"

I turned around and saw our dad standing by the unit door.

Well shit.