Chapter 55

Chris's POV

Well, it was now Christmas, and just like Thanksgiving we celebrated it in the ICU with Cassidee.

Sadly, once this holiday and New Year's is over, I'll be at home and packing, getting ready to leave for tour.

Cassidee still hasn't spoken, but she's managing to stay awake longer and look at us when we speak to her. The doctor looked over her scans and said everything looks fine since her surgery.

As for me and the wife, we've apologized to each other, but we're still rocky and working out. Divorce is no longer the main topic of our talks now and I'm glad we're past that.

"Hello, Cassidee." Her doctor smiled, waving at her and us. "I just wanted to say since she's been more awake and alert, following commands I can safely say she's ready to be released from ICU."

"She can now be sent to a regular hospital room?" Sabrina asked.

"Exactly. An escort will be down here shortly once we get her a room."

Sabrina and I smiled at each other as I looked over at Cassidee, who just had a tired look on her face.

"I'm going to call everyone and let them know," Sabrina said, getting up and leaving.

"I'm so glad you're finally getting out of this unit." I leaned over and kissed Cassidee on the cheek.

*******************

Forty minutes later, Cassidee was moved from the ICU and into a regular, well more of a private room.

She wasn't in the room for even five minutes and Ricky and the twins showed up with small gift bags.

"Sabrina told me the good word that she came out of intensive care, that's awesome!" Ricky smiled.

"The greatest Christmas present I could ever ask for."

"I know how you were eyeing these at the oddities parlor, so I got them for you." Braxton smiled, taking out three coffin-shaped bath bombs from Balz and Ryan's shop.

Cassidee had been begging to get those ever since Balz showed them to her one day at the shop.

Milo had bought Cassidee a white stuffed bear with a Santa hat and two boxes of her favorite candies.

Maybe when Cassidee gets a little bit stronger, she'll get her appetite back for chocolate.

"Awe! That was sweet of you two!" Sabrina smiled, placing their gifts on a nearby table.

"I'm just glad to see her out of that unit." Braxton smiled at Cassidee.

"We all are."

"How come Mason isn't here?" Ricky asked.

"Both sets of grandparents chipped in and got him an Xbox One. According to my mother, he's been on it since he hooked it up." I laughed. "He spent Christmas morning with them, I'll be bringing him over soon."

"He is your child, hooked on the Xbox all the time."

********************

After our families had come and spent the holiday, visiting Cassidee and dropping off small gifts, it was back to me and her.

I looked out the window as night was nearing and there was a steady snowfall outside. I pulled my phone from my pocket and checked the time.

8 pm

I noticed my wallpaper lock screen was a picture of Sabrina, the kids, and myself. It was from last December when we went looking for a Christmas tree.

"Such a happier time," I whispered just before my screen turned off.

Cassidee started to groan a little and I saw her begin to pick at her oxygen and IV tubes. The doctor said this would happen as she starts coming around more.

I got up and walked over to Cassidee, taking her hand in mine and placing it to my lips.

"I know, it's frustrating. I'm going to get the nurse, you could also be having some pain."

Cassidee gripped my hand and looked at me with her big, beautiful brown eyes.

"S-s-stop."