Chapter 107

Chris's POV

"Chris, what's going on?" Sabrina asked as I put on my shoes and grabbed the car keys. "Chris!"

"I don't know! Cassidee said something about someone being gone at the hospital, I don't know what's going on either! Stay here and I will call you if anything else happens."

I bolted out the door and got into the car, strapping on my belt, and pulled out of the driveway. I arrived at the ER thirty minutes later, grabbed the first parking spot I saw, and rushed inside to see Cassidee sitting in the waiting room, holding herself and crying.

"Cassidee?"

"Dad!" She cried as she wrapped her arms around me. "She's gone, she's gone."

I pulled back and stared at her. "Who's gone?!"

"Mommy." She cried even harder.

I was confused for about two seconds until it hit me. I looked all over the waiting room for some sort of answer and sat down, comforting my daughter the best that I could. I pulled Cassidee onto my lap as she buried her face into my neck, shushing her every second.

I didn't know what to feel at this very moment. Though I'm feeling every emotion right now, my mind just can't decide what it wants to be. My two biggest questions to this are: What happened to Samantha and why was Cassidee over there?

"Come on, let's get some air."

Cassidee and I walked out the doors and she sat down on the pavement, resting her back against the wall. Whatever reason she was at her mother's I honestly can't be or get mad at her, not at a time like this.

"Why were you over your mom's, Cass?" I asked. "I won't be mad, no matter the answer."

"Be-because I was pa-passing through her neighborhood for a faster rou-route. I noticed the door was opened, so I walked in to make sure things were okay and I found her on the bathroom flooooooor!" She cried harder, resting her forehead on her knees.

"The doctors didn't tell you anything?"

She shook her head and stared down at the ground, sniffing every so often. I sat down beside her and wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"It's okay, don't be sad. I know you didn't have the greatest relationship with your mom, but it is your mom and if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask me or Sabrina, okay?"

Cassidee nodded her head and I stood up, bringing her up along with me as well. Once I had Cassidee calmed down, we both got into our cars and drove back to the house. When we got back home she walked in and went straight up to her room, not saying a word to Sabrina, who was waiting for an answer.

"Well?" Sabrina asked once I shut the door behind me.

"Cassidee's mother died tonight." I sighed walking into the living room.

"What do you mean she died? What happened?"

"Hell if I knew," I said laying down on the couch.

"Maybe I should go up and talk with her?"

I looked up at Sabrina and pointed my index at her. "Don't, okay? When Cassidee is ready to talk then we'll listen, but for now, that kid is hurting. She just lost her mother, yeah I know none of us were on good terms with her, but c'mon Samantha gave life to Cassidee and Cassidee depended on her until things went south with them."

"And how are you feeling about this, Chris? After all, she was your first girlfriend and was the biological mother to your child."

"Oh please don't start this! I don't know how I'm feeling about all of this right now, okay? All I know is that I got a very heartbroken kid upstairs at the moment and that's all I'm going to focus on as of now."

Sabrina stormed away, stomping up the steps, and slammed the bedroom door. Why is it every time something goes on she tries to make it ten times worse? I laid on the couch for what seemed like an eternity and stared up at the ceiling thinking about all that's happened in the last hour.

I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel about Samantha dying. Was I supposed to feel sad? Was I supposed to feel happy?

"Oh, man," I said out loud.

I got up from the couch and walked upstairs, going to Cassidee's room first. I opened the door and peeked my head in to see her lying face down on her bed with her head buried underneath the pillow.

"Cassidee?"

"Go away."

I nodded my head, closing her door, and headed over to the bedroom where my wife was at. I opened the door and walked in as she eyed me from the bed.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"I should be asking you that, look I didn't mean to snap down there before. I-I guess I'm just worried about Cassidee and how she's going to be handling this."

"I'm fine and I told her don't hesitate if she needs anything. I sound like a broken record with this, but I know she and Samantha weren't picture-perfect mother and daughter, but it's still her mom. I can understand why she'd be upset."

"So where do we go from here?"

"We just have to wait on Cassidee and then we can get situated."

Though I feel it's going to be a very long process with her.