Chapter 31: Mommy Issues

CHAPTER 31

--Nicole's pov--

"Nikki, it's been so long that I've seen you. Too long." My mother says to me with a smile.

"Yeah, considering we live under the same fudgin' roof." I spit at her.

"Don't talk to your mother that way, Nicole Paige."

"A mother?" I laugh. "A mother is actually there for her children. Have I even seen you at any of Faith's school things? I'm always at the teacher conferences, not you. How do you even call yourself a mother anymore."

She looks stunned for a second, but then straightens once again, "I won't take this from you, young lady."

"You won't take it from me?" I ask.

"A mother doesn't need to be talked to that way by her daughter."

"Oh can it, mom. Where were you for those years anyways? It's like all of a sudden you just disappeared." I put my hands on my hips. This explanation should be good.

She swallows, "Work has been very hard for me."

"What does that mean? You could still even care about your kids. Think about Faith! You stopped talking to her when she was like 5! Do you even know what you did to her? Until she was eight she thought I was the one that gave birth to her! That hurts mom. A lot."

She didn't say anything. Just looked at me.

"How can work be an excuse?" I ask her. Tears start to form in my eyes. Don't let her see you cry> It's not like she cares.

"When your father and I got divorced, it hurt me in ways not possible..." she looks down at the floor. That's still a pathetic excuse.

"I still don't accept that." I turn to go back up the stairs, but stop and turn back around to face her. "Thanks for never being there. You were a great help in my life."

She doesn't say anything as I walk up the stairs to my roo m. I don't even cry one tear that night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear my door open and close lightly. I can already tell it's Faith by the swift movements of her feet. She gently hops on my bed and outstretches her finger to poke my cheek. "Nikki, wake up." She pokes my cheek 3 more times, and then starts to shake me. "NIkki, wake up." I open my eyes to see her all up close and personal to me. Like I mean, right in my face.

"what?" I roll over so my back is to her now. Let me sleep, women!

"There's a lady downstairs cooking breakfast." She whispers to me.

My eyes fly open and I groan. Crap, that's right. Our mother.

"It's ok, it's just mom." I mumble.

"Wait what? Did I just hear you right? I have a mom?" She asks. Confusion fills her voice, but then it turns to anger. "What the heck is she doing here? We don't need her..."

I turn back around to her, "I know, but we just need to see why she suddenly has an interest in us."

She nods, "fine, but you're coming with me."

I groan, "fine, gimme a sec." I sit up and yawn. "Ugh, what time is it?"

"Like 10."

Dammit, it feels like eight in the morning. I get out of bed and open my door. I look downstairs to see my mom with the pancake fryer out, humming along like we're a normal family and she's always been here for us blah blah blah. Well only in her dreams.