Chapter Forty-Nine

"My heart is damaged. So damaged. I thought that I'd should let you know..."

Song: Damaged

Artist: Danity Kane

This is one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.

That quote was completely irrelevant but it was in my head for some reason.

Good Reading!

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE:

Adrian:

"We can have our first official slumber party." I chirped into the speaker of my cellphone. Prancing around the kitchen from cabinet to cabinet just to make sure we had the snack essentials for Sophia and I's sleepover tonight. The last thing we need is death by lack of Twix and chocolate covered pretzels.

Just when I had closed a cabinet shut mom had walked into the kitchen. Making a hand gesture that signaled for me to hang up my call. I kind of put this off long enough. All week I had been telling myself that my mom and I were going to sit down to talk everything out. I swore to myself that we were. That it was all going to get settled.

I lied to myself.

Like the swine flu, I've been avoiding my mom at every door creak, kitchen pot clattering, and key jiggle. Childish of me to even be that way. Going against myself and my word. It should be right for me to just let her take charge like the mother she is and lead the way.

"Call me when you get here, Soph. Bye." I hung up the phone without hearing Sophia even end the call herself and placed my phone on the counter slowly. As if I magically developed hawk eyes, I watched my mom's every move carefully. She just may be so irritated with me that she'll pick up a kitchen knife and murder her only child.

I've seen a movie like this before. When a mom creeps into the kitchen to get a knife to kill her only child. I think I've seen it on Lifetime before when I walked past the living room to leave for dance practice one day. My mom had been in one of her monthly moods and watching suspenseful movies were the only way to keep her sane.

She's seen the movie before. She knows what she's doing.

My throat works to let a small gulp go down. Catching her attention only to bring her out of her thoughts rapidly. We both had a way with going off into a random daydream. It was a nightmare and a perk that we were gifted with. "Are we going to talk?" I stupidly ask her. My inner self mentally gave me a slap to the eyebrow. Clearly we're going to talk. She isn't standing here for her good looks.

Guess someone decided they wanted to be a little sarcastic devil today.

"Yeah," She sighed. Helping herself to one of the two seats at the island counter. She looked so calm that it bothered me. Isn't that how all murderous people start off? Calm, cool, and collected? It's not that I intentionally have been dodging her all week because I haven't.

Yes you have. Ugh! I know I have ...

"I'll talk first and you listen, okay?" I nodded my head. She began on. "You weren't a mistake, Adrianna." I grimaced slightly at the remembrance of me inwardly thinking that as soon as the news came to me. "That's the last thing that I want you to ever think. Did I intend to get pregnant by a man that just so happened to not be the one I truly loved? No. But that didn't make me love you any less."

Nice to know that she didn't deem me as such a burden that came into her life. That still didn't really settle anything. I needed some answers.

"Why did you do it?" I demanded, squeezing my fingers onto the edge of the island counter so tight. A random burst of anger had shot through me out of nowhere. Probably to think of my mom getting drunk to then cheat on her true love. At least, that's what she still calls my dad. "Mom, why did you cheat on dad?"