Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Oh, I wish I'd never ever seen your face. I wish you were the one, I wish you were the one that got away..."

Song: The One That Got Away

Artist: The Civil Wars

Update is now here! Enjoy :P

Good Readings!

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE:

Serena:

There's always that moment in friendship when you doubt yourself. Or maybe not necessarily doubt yourself but you just know that you aren't living up to the duties of what a best friend should be doing.

That was me. And that's been me for the past couple of days now. I've been the world's worst best friend to Adrian, and now look where I'd gotten her. In the clinic that the campus hosted for the bash. So much for me being there by her side for everything.

I can't believe that I allowed for all of this to happen all due to my stupid careless decisions. I went behind my best friend's back and did the most terrible thing to her. Something that she would never forgive me for doing, and I know she wouldn't .... that's why I kept it a secret.

Why couldn't I just do the right thing and push him away. Why didn't I just push him the fuck away? We both knew what we were getting ourselves into and I knew that I would be damned to hell whenever Adrian found out but I didn't care.

Jealousy.

Yeah. Stupid? I know. I'm mentally bashing my face with a fucking saucepan right now. Trust me when I say I am.

But back to what I was saying. I, Serena Lewis, was jealous of my best friend who mines well be my sister, Adrianna Pike. And I still am till this day. That's why I did what I did. To be on top for once and be able to look down at her and say, "Yeah. I won this time."

To have her run away crying into the arms of no one because she wouldn't have that one special guy that she thought was her everything. Only because her everything was busy kissing me in my bedroom after sneaking through my backdoor after my parents fell asleep. I won.

Scratch that ---- I was winning until karma bit me in the ass and reality set in unwillingly. Everything in the dark must come to the light. Didn't we all know that? I should've known that. Actually, I think I did understand it but like I said before I. Just. Didn't. Care.

But as we were growing up Adrian seriously had it all. At least in my eyes she did. Adrian was always the best when it came to dance between the two of us because it was like she was gifted from god to be able to pick up a rhythm so easily and just add moves to it. Good moves. Perfect, award winning, first place moves.

I could do the same just as easily but I always came in second to her. At every competition we did together or every formation we stood in together. I was either in second place or right behind her. But just with that one person I wasn't. Adrian was behind me. And that's exactly what she deserved.

My feelings didn't even ache as much for the heartache that I had caused her when she told me that she had to breakup with him because she found out that he was giving himself to someone else.

Some sick friend I was.

Allowing her to just cry in my arms for hours upon hours but not even think twice about her feelings because my eyes were busy fluttering to the clock on her night table stand so I wouldn't be late for my next encounter with him.

He was sometimes so impatient but maybe that was because Adrian was always a bit late when it came to being on time for things. That was her first mistake.